Cyber Theft, Destruction of Property & Invasion of Privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

u7u7e

My jurisdiction is: Los Angeles, California

An individual has hacked into my personal non-work laptop loaded it with spyware of the most invasive nature. It is loaded to the hilt with VNC software, Web server software, extraneous boot-sector scripts that can't be eliminated with reformatting and designate the specified individual (the hacker) with supreme authority over the computer, shadow copying and keystroke software, encryption software, and possibly others - as if that isn't enough of a violation already.

This individual is a sophisticated guy who undoubtedly implemented a very calculated strategy to capture every ounce of personal data imaginable. I am certain I know who did it and why. We worked together and he was my boss. I worked in finance at a hedge fund. And, yes, we did in fact go under this year, as did many firms, and I was let go in late November due to losses that resulted in the firm ceasing to exist.

No one has ever had physical possession of my unlocked and turned on computer besides me and my ex-boss (only on 1 occasion - did I lend it to him for 10 or 20 minutes). On a few occasions, I left it unattended for maybe 30 min max in our office, but it is password protected.

This individual was arrested as a boy for hacking. Now, he is in his mid 20s, and ran our firm and managed the business network. It goes unsaid that he has exhaustive knowledge of networking, information technology, and cyberspace.

I have the computer in its adulterated state in which it can clearly be seen to have been manipulated in a careful and sophisticated manner to spy. And, it was done at a high level. VNC software is used by networking professionals to give themselves a high-resolution view of their clients' monitors while their clients are in some remote location. Web-server software, when used in an abusive manner, allowed the intruder to structure a sophisticated file hierarchy in a manner that allowed for the creation of 'shadow copies' and then encryption of the shadow copies. Further the individual messed with the 'boot sector' of the hard drive to ensure reformatting of the disk wouldn't eliminate his elaborate construction. It appears he inserted scripts in the boot sector to give himself 'admin' authority before standard system operations can even go into effect. Oh, also he inserted networking software, so no matter where you go - your own computer will betray you by sending an outbound signal transmitting your IP address to the 'administrator'.

Basically, what I have here, is difficult to comprehend. The computer can literally capture almost any conceivable information it comes in contact with and he has supreme authority over its actions even though I am the computer's owner. To describe this as a mere violation of privacy would be to make the understatement of the century.

As to what makes me suspect it's he who created this masterpiece, I have his name in my computer's file server log. He gave me a nonsensical excuse that just doesn't add up. I only once log before the date in which his name appears in my log, used his wireless Internet access and my file sharing was turned off, as it always is.

Additionally, he has had almost certain advanced knowledge of my activities, such as interviews and the like. He wanted to indirectly let me know that I was in an interview by calling me a dozen times while I was in the interview, which was 1 hour. Normally he called me every other week. His excuse for the phone calls was that they were an effort to let me know that I was invited to dinner.

Early on before I knew the exact nature of my computer problems, I suspected he was doing something. So, I'd never connect my computer to the Internet or if I did - I'd make sure to load it up with a software firewall, router with a firewall, antivirus software, diagnostic tools, etc. It made it a tiny bit of an inconvenience for him to regain control, but he'd just need my IP Address, since I'd block all outbound signals - his little snitch softwares couldn't reveal their address.

I also have the computer logs showing the intruder's Ping Sweeps to regain control of the computer once an open port was found. My bet is that a subpoena reveals the Ping Sweeps are registered to IP Addresses that were designated to him.

I don't know how to address this situation. I have confronted him and his responses are infuriating. He laughed a couple of times and tries in a futile manner to convince me of his innocence and asks what makes me suspicious of computer intrusion. The next day my computer is attacked again and precisely that which I mentioned to him as raising a red flag is corrected - and everything else is identical. He is mentally ill. He will not stop. I believe his reasoning is to obtain future corporate financial 'inside information', as I am going on to work elsewhere. He has been accused of this before.

I'm not sure which authorities I should go to, what they may want as proof, whether I should seek civil remuneration, or whether I can pursue one or both as means of redress. Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you.

To begin, if you hope to use your hard drive as evidence, you would want to stop using this laptop as soon as possible and try to get a certified technician image your hard drive and preserve all kinds of evidence that may exist that would link this individual to the alleged crime. It's not just the obvious items but also the not so obvious - items stored in the temporary areas of your hard drive. You may wish to speak with your company's IT department and, if speaking to the police, you had better make sure it's with a true "forensic" technician. The field is known as "computer forensics" and is linked with the larger topic of "electronic discovery." Any good lawyer educated in this area should know what to do. Does this help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back