curious about taken dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbie77

My husband had bought a dog while he was with his ex with his own money. This was about 3 years ago. The dog was registered in his name and all vet records and payments for the dog in his name. When she left him she took the dog. does the fact that the dog was registerd and everything was under his name. If he wanted to could he ever get the dog back? I'm sure now he would have to take her to court. Back when this had first happened would he have been able to just pick the dog up and leave with it being as it was his dog?

also I'm sure someone is going to ask why would he wait this long to get the dog back. The dog was very large and for that amount of time he wasn't settled in a place to keep the dog, he didn't feel it was in its best interest considering his situation.

So it's ok for your husband to just whip that dog out of the dog's current home?! What would that do to the dog?!

no im asking if he could have taken it back right away when it was taken from him. Not now. He may not even take it back now for that reason. It been with that woman for this long it probably isn't whats best. It's kind of the point that it's his dog and he really should have every right to take it back if he wanted to really...

no im asking if he could have taken it back right away when it was taken from him. Not now. He may not even take it back now for that reason. It been with that woman for this long it probably isn't whats best. It's kind of the point that it's his dog and he really should have every right to take it back if he wanted to really...

He should have taken care of this during the divorce - did he bother?

Regardless of whether it's "his" dog or not, the dog has been living with his ex for quite some time now...of course, this assumes that your husband is more concerned with the dog's best interest than he is the concept of ownership.

And hon, please do yourself a favor - "that woman" is the mother of your husband's children. You're going to be dealing with her for quite some time, and you may wish to take some step-parenting classes - heck, I'm one myself and had to learn from some pretty awful mistakes I made! Please, PM me if you'd like some links to step-parenting support.

I've been there, done that and worn out the t-shirt...

It's not an easy job

It makes me sad to see how someone can jump to conclusion on here. Ok first, the ex I was referring to i guess I should have elaborated was an ex girlfriend not ex wife. So sorry if that was important. So the dog was his dog, period end of story. I thought my question was pretty simple but I'll do my best to clarify if I wasn't clear the first time. When she left and took his dog at that time could he have showed up and taken it back if he had the dog registered in his name, receipt, and all vet bill in his name? Now this part of the question is more of a hypothetical one than anything really. Being as it's been so long is there still any way that he would be able to get it back IF he wanted to. If so what would the steps be? It is his dog regardless. Im really just curious. It may not be in the dogs best interest the answer to this question is just so I know.

As far as the response from Proserpina I really didn't appreciate your comment. That "woman" is just that. She is nothing to my husband more than an ex girlfriend. I don't know where you got it in your head that he has children with her or that I need step-parenting classes. I think you're really off base and should know your facts before you come at someone like that.

Yes, he could have taken the dog at any time.
If she had a problem with that she could have sued him over it, and she would have lost.
A dog is property... it is no different than if she had taken his car.

As far as the response from Proserpina I really didn't appreciate your comment. That "woman" is just that. She is nothing to my husband more than an ex girlfriend. I don't know where you got it in your head that he has children with her or that I need step-parenting classes. I think you're really off base and should know your facts before you come at someone like that.

Given your other post, I figured you were talking about the same woman.

If that's not the case, I apologise.

You, however, still need to lose the attitude.

mightymoose said:
Yes, he could have taken the dog at any time.
If she had a problem with that she could have sued him over it, and she would have lost.
A dog is property... it is no different than if she had taken his car.
It might have been better to have said, "attempt to take the dog".

He might have owned the dog, but showing up at someone's home and using self-help is never very wise, is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much mightymoose!! Very helpful!! Thats what I was thinking but wasn't sure. LOL she took his car too!! Ex's arent they wonderful!

Army judge, I'm sure no matter what would have happened if he had "attempted" to take the dog back the law would have been in his favor being as she STOLE his property..

Thankfully I'm not here for advice about my attitude or myself in general. So thanks but no thanks.

It might have been better to have said, "attempt to take the dog".

He might have owned the dog, but showing up at someone's home and using self-help is never very wise, is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I wouldn't bust down the door to take the dog, but if it was otherwise accessible in the yard and I had all the registration to prove it belongs to me, ya, I'll self-help.

i completely agree. I think that's how easy it should have been. I think things shouldn't always have to result in courts and lawyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back