criminal got our car keys from our gym

Status
Not open for further replies.

scleary1

My wife works out at a gym that takes you car keys to get a gym locker key. While my wife was working out someone took her keys from the gym desk and stole her purse and cell phone out of her car. Needless to say her purse contained a couple of credit cards, checking debit card, license, and some Misc items.

The criminal then hit ~12 quick shop gas stations and a Kroger.

The gym had a camera on the front desk (which has someone stationed at it at all times...less than a foot away from the keys) and a camera on the parking lot. The VCR attached to the camera (you guessed it) did not have a tape recording.

Is the gym liable for allowing someone to take her keys?

We had to re-key our house, cars, buy a new phone, and run around all day for new license, social security card...this person has also tried o open another credit card in her name.

What should we do?

Since the gym took possession of the keys they do have a responsibility. They may have some type of verbage in your contract but I doubt that it would hold up in court. I would make a written demand for a reimbursement of your actual losses. Send your letter CRRR.

If they refuse then contact your local magistrate and file suit in small claims court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back