Credit Union holding car title hostage

SharonJean

Jurisdiction
Florida
Had a car loan with a local credit union. Paid it off. Actually overpaid it because the first time I paid it off, they decided to assess interest, even though a payoff was agreed upon, then they charged a late fee on the interest. They also decided to pocket the amount I overpaid the second time. It was about $10, so I let that slide. Now, even though it's been about 6 months, and I've made several requests, they refuse to send me the title for the car. Called tonight and all I got was "We'll make notes that you requested the title" and hung up on. What, if anything, can I do? I'm looking to upgrade my car, but can't until I get the title.

Eh? Florida (unlike certain other states) have the liens recorded on the title. The lender only submits a release, they're not holding a physical title document. It's up to you to get a new paper title if you want one. Have they filed the release with the HSMV?

Eh? Florida (unlike certain other states) have the liens recorded on the title. The lender only submits a release, they're not holding a physical title document. It's up to you to get a new paper title if you want one. Have they filed the release with the HSMV?
First time I called, they said it just hadn't arrived yet, and that it usually takes about 3 months. Well, that was at about the 3 month mark, and about 3 months ago. This is my first time paying off the loan before trading it the vehicle. Have bought some crappy cars in the past. So, if there's something I need to do, fine. I just wish they would have told me instead of saying it's on it's way. They've given no other info but that.

Back