Assault & Battery Crazy Roommate

synecai

Jurisdiction
California
I apologize in advance for this being a long winded story.

In June, I found out that my alcoholic sociopath roommate had taken my rent money and not paid rent, and was planning on running away to Vegas. I was very upset and when he came home I confronted him. He slammed the door in my face, but I blocked it with my foot. He would not turn around and look at me, but kept denying stealing rent. I tapped him lightly on the shoulder- VERY LIGHTLY- and told him to look me in the eyes and tell me he didn't steal my rent money.

He flipped around and said, "You fucked up, you touched me, I can say that's assault bitch" and called the police and told them, while looking me in the eyes finally, "There is a trespasser in my house that assaulted me".

I ran into the other room and called the police back and said I wasn't a trespasser, I didn't assault him, he's nuts.

When the officers came, they separated us and questioned us. I told them I blocked the door and when they asked if I had any physical contact I said I tapped him on the shoulder to get him to turn around. HE said I broke down a LOCKED door and started punching him repeatedly. That wasn't true! The police allowed him to make a citizens arrest. They kept telling me THEY weren't arresting me, HE was arresting me, and he's listed as the arresting officer. They said it wasn't a big deal. They said it was just misdemeanor battery and any judge would drop it.

But I am TERRIFIED. I have NEVER had any police trouble. I have court on the 29th. I do have a lawyer. But I'm still scared. I read that any physical contact at all counts as battery, and I tapped him, but he lied about the entire thing! He said I was a trespasser, he said I broke down a locked door (I'm 5'3, 102 lbs, and was barefoot), and he said I punched him repeatedly. They disregarded his trespasser claims because it was obvious that was BS, why didn't they disregard his other crap?

What do I do? Will they drop it or charge me because I touched him at all?

He stole my rent, was renting to me illegally in the first place I found out, and all of his story was a lie. I just admitted to touching him because I didn't want to lie to a police officer. He's already cost me thousands of dollars, if I have to serve time or pay for a crime I didn't commit I just can't deal any more. He's a horrible person. He kicked my fucking cat in March. I just couldn't afford to move.

Oh, and he had threatened to call the cops on me and say I was a trespasser in my own home before, in front of witnesses, just because he was in a bad mood and didn't want me to argue with him.

Think about this nonsense.
It's your word against his.
He's already been caught in one lie.

However, you have engaged an attorney.

I suggest you discuss anything about this silliness ONLY with your lawyer.

As you're thinking about things, consider living as a responsible adult ALONE. Roommates as adults rarely work out as intended.

Why?

If 50% of marriages fail annually, other shared arrangements fail 75-90% of the time, too.

As you describe it this will likely amount to nothing. It is very possible that if there are no damages and no injuries the whole thing will be dropped. Nobody will waste their time with this.

As you describe it this will likely amount to nothing. It is very possible that if there are no damages and no injuries the whole thing will be dropped. Nobody will waste their time with this.

Thank you. I took pictures of the door to prove it wasn't damaged and he didn't have a single scratch on him. Just overly nervous here. >___<

Discuss your concerns with your lawyer. It "sounds like" from what you posted, you should be fine.

Back