crazy neighbors

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandye

I have an interesting situation. I moved to a cabin in upstate NY because my mother in laws boyfriend owns the property. There are five other cabins sharing the property. When we moved in there was a tenant-tenant dispute that we didn't know about. One of the tenants involved was evicted and all was well again. We eventually made friends with everyone and soon realized that it was a big mistake to do so. There is a particular household that enjoys making trouble. When another family moved in, they just happened to know of eachother and became fast friends. Fine with me, but, the troublemaking household decided that since they have new friends, they don't need us anymore. That is also fine with me. However, all of the sudden I was being bombarded with death threats. My husband was working almost seventy hours a week when this happened and he cut down his hours to "babysit" us when his mother wasn't around. The bad neighbors told everyone that he was racist. And they tried to run us off the road several times. We told the landlord about it, but since he didn't see it first hand, he couldn't do anything about it. Finally he did mediate and things settled down. For about five months. They decided to harrass the landlord. He evicted them both for nonpayment of rent. Now they are suing him for missed work and emotional stress. Of harrassing me! Is there any way that they are going to get away with this? Is there anything that I can do to help the landlord? What a mess. Thank you for any advice you can give.

Originally posted by brandye
I have an interesting situation. I moved to a cabin in upstate NY because my mother in laws boyfriend owns the property. There are five other cabins sharing the property. When we moved in there was a tenant-tenant dispute that we didn't know about. One of the tenants involved was evicted and all was well again. We eventually made friends with everyone and soon realized that it was a big mistake to do so. There is a particular household that enjoys making trouble. When another family moved in, they just happened to know of eachother and became fast friends. Fine with me, but, the troublemaking household decided that since they have new friends, they don't need us anymore. That is also fine with me. However, all of the sudden I was being bombarded with death threats. My husband was working almost seventy hours a week when this happened and he cut down his hours to "babysit" us when his mother wasn't around. The bad neighbors told everyone that he was racist. And they tried to run us off the road several times. We told the landlord about it, but since he didn't see it first hand, he couldn't do anything about it. Finally he did mediate and things settled down. For about five months. They decided to harrass the landlord. He evicted them both for nonpayment of rent. Now they are suing him for missed work and emotional stress. Of harrassing me! Is there any way that they are going to get away with this? Is there anything that I can do to help the landlord? What a mess. Thank you for any advice you can give.
Did you report any of these death threats and attempts to run you off the road?

Where are they suing him? They can claim what they want but if they are deadbeats and a court of law evicted them, then it would seem that they would have a difficult time getting anywhere. Are these troublemakers represented by an attorney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back