Crashed motorcycle

carate

Hi, I recently crashed my motorcycle in a parking lot and am uninsured. I know it was very irresponsible for me but I need help.

The car in front of me was almost at a complete stop with brake lights on and no turn signal on. I decided to pass the car by going pass the right side. That's when the other driver turned and I collided with her front right bumper, also slightly damaging her right front tire rim. This was not in any intersection. No one was hurt and there was very little damage to her car but my motorcycle is unusable right now.

The other driver said she would not file any police report and said that her insurance should be able to take care of repair costs if it exceeds $1,000.
If the repair costs less than $1,000 we would have to figure it out ourselves (i.e. I pay for her repair).

Her insurance's claim department is asking me for a statement, do I give it to them? I'm very hesitant because I am new to driving, this is my first crash, and I have no idea as to what the consequences of driving uninsured may be. I definitely wouldn't want that on my permanent record/have the DMV know that I drove and crashed while uninsured.

What are my options? Is there any way to resolve this between her and I without speaking to her insurance company? Thanks for taking the time to read this

Hi carate,

I agree with disagreeable.

Do not worry first fill out the motorcycle insurance form and then talk to her insurance company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Filling of the SR-1 is only required if the damage exceeds $750 or if there are injuries.
Odds are that two damaged vehicles easily exceeds $750. Since they have your info the other person's insurance company may file the SR-1.

Regardless, there is no way in the world the insurance company is going to pay for the damage to your motorcycle. You caused the accident and are uninsured. The cost of repair will cone out of your pocket.

Back