craigs list buyer wants to return car

M

montanakid

i sold a guy a truck, explained in the add it needed work an was not aa runner, explained every detail sent pics ect.. so he send his friend up to pick the truck up, looks it over an hands me the cash an says we are good. i help him load it on the trailer he heads off.. now hes saying he wants to return it?? he says the canopy was not on it as i explained in a text the day before that the truck would not fit in my shop with it on so i would bring it down to him when i head that way in a few weeks.. never heard a word back an assumed he was ok with it.. well i get a text this am saying hes going to sue me?? i explained an apologized for the mix up an would get it down to him.. i am not in the wrong am i?? i have been nice to him, yet he has cussed an threatened me over this small miss hap

Why did you not provide them with the part that you removed? For all the buyer knows, you lied to sell the hunk o' junk, and were going to sell the best piece for more to someone else. I suggest you get him that part post-haste, and next time, be an honest nice guy.

but see i explained the mix up an have told him over an over i will get it over to him.. its a 100 canopy the truck was a 3000.00 truck... i just want to make sure i aint in the wrong here.. i explained to him over an over an apologized about the mix up.. he has done nothing but harass me an call names saying hes going to sue me?? from what i have read a car is sold as is an no returns, an yes i plan to get him his canopy asap

I hope your ASAP means tomorrow so he gets it before he gets to the courthouse Monday.

Take a witness with you who can testify as to delivery if needed.

Other than that, you are probably in good shape if he does sue you.

i sold a guy a truck, explained in the add it needed work an was not aa runner, explained every detail sent pics ect.. so he send his friend up to pick the truck up, looks it over an hands me the cash an says we are good. i help him load it on the trailer he heads off.. now hes saying he wants to return it?? he says the canopy was not on it as i explained in a text the day before that the truck would not fit in my shop with it on so i would bring it down to him when i head that way in a few weeks.. never heard a word back an assumed he was ok with it.. well i get a text this am saying hes going to sue me?? i explained an apologized for the mix up an would get it down to him.. i am not in the wrong am i?? i have been nice to him, yet he has cussed an threatened me over this small miss hap

Think about it, mate.
Your mark, err customer, didn't pick up the truck.
The mark, err buyer, sent his errand boy to pick it up and pay for it.
He can't PROVE he didn't get the whatchmacallit.
Maybe his PAL, your mark, err customer stole it, or lost it.
After all, the mark, err customer told you, "We good!"

hes 400 miles away.. i told his friend that i would drop it off as i had to go that way in a few weeks an no problem i would drop it off where ever they wanted it.. this whole problem started by him not getting the text to explain what was going on.. he keeps saying he can sue me an will win but the problem is i have told him over an over this was just a mishap, i cant control if he gets his texts or not.. he WILL get the canopy as i have no use for it.. i have tryed working with him but the buyer keeps harassing an threatening me.. i told him he would get it an i am keeping my word.. should i be worried at all about the suing part?? i got every text he has sent an i have sent proving i have been nothing but helpful an told him i will fix the problem

No one here knows if he will sue you or not but you might want to get the canopy to him as soon as possible. If he does sue, you defend yourself.

should i be worried at all about the suing part??

That's up to you if you want to be worried or not. People threaten lawsuits all the time. You can choose to be scared or not scared.

i have been nothing but helpful an told him i will fix the problem

The trouble with that is that talking about fixing the problem isn't fixing the problem. If your ASAP is "a couple of weeks when you'll be in the area" then you might have an unpleasant surprise knocking on your door one of these days.

but see i told his buddy the guy that picked it up that it would be a few weeks before i made it over an he said no problem... i just to see if im breaking thee law which i dont think i am.. am i??

His buddy isn't the one who bought the car. All we can suggest is that you try & get the canopy to the buyer ASAP.

hes 400 miles away.. i told his friend that i would drop it off as i had to go that way in a few weeks an no problem i would drop it off where ever they wanted it.. this whole problem started by him not getting the text to explain what was going on.. he keeps saying he can sue me an will win but the problem is i have told him over an over this was just a mishap, i cant control if he gets his texts or not.. he WILL get the canopy as i have no use for it.. i have tryed working with him but the buyer keeps harassing an threatening me.. i told him he would get it an i am keeping my word.. should i be worried at all about the suing part?? i got every text he has sent an i have sent proving i have been nothing but helpful an told him i will fix the problem

Look, if he sues you, so what?

He'd have to sue you in your state and county, not his.
Plus, he'd have to prove he didn't get it.
You need not prove he never got it, just that his pal took it.

If I were you, I'd stop communicating with him.
Block his calls,his texts,his emails.
Stop explaining.
You don't owe him an answer, just because he asks.
In fact, when anyone asks me a question that I don't want to newer is just smile and say nothing, or sometimes I say, "I don't answer questions."

Don't worry about it.... He would have to come to your area to sue in small claims court. Get this part to him when you can. It's a used truck.... You and the person picking up the truck made a deal. He may not like that deal but it was done with someone he sent up there. I would send one more text explaining that you and the pick up guy made a deal that you would bring it down by (date). Sorry that he doesn't understand. Tell him that your not going to reply to any more texts from him. Deliver the item... Make sure you have a address where to bring the part. Plus.... a BIG PLUS.... The day you deliver the part... Have the cops meet you about a block away. The delivery could get ugly... So you need them there.. If not he could say... You slapped him.. Stop worrying about court.

but see i told his buddy the guy that picked it up that it would be a few weeks before i made it over an he said no problem... i just to see if im breaking thee law which i dont think i am.. am i??

No, it's impossible to break the law insofar as civil transactions are concerned.

He could sue you, so what?
You'd simply appear, bringing the thingamabob with you.
In court, the judge will ask, where's the whatchamacallit.
You say, it's outside in my truck, your honor, and I want him to have it.
His errand boy forgot to take to with him.
The judge says, give him his junk.
End of the story, case closed, no money changes hands.

Back