Cps

Shreen84

Jurisdiction
California
Hi everybody I have a few questions to ask. One does CPS have the right to interview my kids without my knowledge? The second question is my husband got arrested one time and ever since the cops keep harassing him? what can I do about these situations?

1. Kind of. The best solution to the problem is to make sure your kids know that they are not to speak with anyone without a parent present. Your kids need to know they will not get in trouble for refusing to answer any questions before a parent is present, and that they need to clearly and repeatedly state that they want their parent present.

2. What was the arrest for, and how long ago? How is he being harassed? More info needed.

Let's look at this logically. I'm not for a moment suggesting that you abuse your children. But just for the sake of making a point, let's pretend that you do. If you have to be present every time CPS talks to your children, what opportunity do your children have to tell them what's happening and maybe get taken to safety?

1. Kind of. The best solution to the problem is to make sure your kids know that they are not to speak with anyone without a parent present. Your kids need to know they will not get in trouble for refusing to answer any questions before a parent is present, and that they need to clearly and repeatedly state that they want their parent present.

2. What was the arrest for, and how long ago? How is he being harassed? More info needed.
The arrest was possession of drugs and stolen property the stolen property he bought off of someone and they just show up out of no where we could be walking down the street and we will get pulled over

If he is/was known to use or possesses drugs it is not necessarily harassment for police to contact him when they see him.

Know your rights. You do not have to soak with police. If they randomly contact you in the street make no statements to them. Just ask "Am I free to leave?" until they say yes.

If they say you are not free to leave then that means they have reason to believe you are engaged in criminal activity. Simply ask why you are being detained. So long as you are the one asking the questions and not answering them the conversation should not go anywhere and you will likely be sent on your way.

Don't be argumentative. Just be polite and make it clear you do not consent to the contact and would like to leave.

does CPS have the right to interview my kids without my knowledge?

The right? No, but it's certainly legal.

The second question is my husband got arrested one time and ever since the cops keep harassing him?

That's not a question.

what can I do about these situations?

While you're obviously concerned about cops allegedly "harassing" your husband, legally, it's not something you have any standing to address. He obviously should be consulting with a local attorney.

Back