Court Room etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

5even

Since I am pro se, can anyone give some court room etiquette? How to greet the judge, jury opposing counselor etc.. while I am professional in my own right, I hear the courtroom is a little different I am most interested in addressing the judge in a respectful manner. While I know all this seems obvious to atty, to a typical layman who never sees the inside of a courtroom may seem awkward.

thank you in advance

The easiest way to accomplish this is to call the Clerk, find out when the next jury trial starts and go watch it. After a couple hours you will get the hang of it.

be respectful

You should dress professional. No jeans, sneakers etc. Not necessarily a 3 piece suit or dress. (don't know your gender) If the judge isn't at the bench then when they walk in the courtroom you stand until they tell you to be seated. You should address them as Your Honor, Sir or Maam. Try to have no emotions show during the trial, hearing etc. Be attentive and respectful at all times. Do not chew gum!

I am not a lawyer but I have been in a divorce case that went to trial.
I have also been involved in a family court custody matter.

I have read numerous articles and books researching court matters.

Hope this helps.

Also, if you have a lawyer they should direct you on how you need to act and also the baliff in court will too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back