copy of insurance papers

OK I'll try a different approach. Under what circumstances would a Michigan police officer be allowed to make a copy of my auto insurance paperwork?

To put this in context, my neighbor wants to see proof that I have insurance and she said she was going to call the police and have them make a "car copy". I've never heard of such a thing so I thought I'd ask the question here and perhaps educate myself.

You spent all that time creating an avatar but then provided no details in your post.
I didn't think any details were necessary. Seemed like a pretty simple question. And, actually, I didn't spend much time creating an avatar. I guess I spend time where it seems appropriate.

You were already answered at length elsewhere. IF you don't want to briefly describe the details then it's not possible to answer your question.

So why did you get pulled over by the police?

OK I'll try a different approach. Under what circumstances would a Michigan police officer be allowed to make a copy of my auto insurance paperwork?

To put this in context, my neighbor wants to see proof that I have insurance and she said she was going to call the police and have them make a "car copy". I've never heard of such a thing so I thought I'd ask the question here and perhaps educate myself.
Why does your neighbor want to see proof of insurance? Were you and she in an accident?

You were already answered at length elsewhere. IF you don't want to briefly describe the details then it's not possible to answer your question.

It is not that I don't want to describe the details. It is simply that I did not think they were necessary. As I said, seemed like a pretty straight forward question to me. I did not get pulled over. My "nosy neighbor" is the President of our property owner's association and she thinks she has a right to that information. There is nothing in our bylaws that allow for that so I'm refusing to give it to her. That's when she told me she was going to call the police and ask them for the "car copy", I'm just trying to understand the law here in Michigan.

This isn't covered by any law. Unless you are driving and stopped for some reason there is no requirement that you provide the police proof of insurance. Your neighbor is a kook - ignore her.

The police won't be knocking on your door based on her complaint that you are refusing to provide insurance information. If they do then just don't answer. If she persists in harassing you you should contact law enforcement and make a complaint report about her actions.

This isn't covered by any law. Unless you are driving and stopped for some reason there is no requirement that you provide the police proof of insurance. Your neighbor is a kook - ignore her.

The police won't be knocking on your door based on her complaint that you are refusing to provide insurance information. If they do then just don't answer. If she persists in harassing you you should contact law enforcement and make a complaint report about her actions.

Excellent point. I didn't think about that. I'll answer the door if they come. I have nothing to hide or be ashamed of. I was thinking today that I am feeling harassed and if she persists I will make a complaint.

Thanks for your patience in understanding my question, your help and your advice.

If the police come and start questioning you (because who knows what she'll say to try to get them to come out) then you should invoke your absolute right to counsel and refuse to speak unless and until you have an attorney present. If I was you I would just not answer the door - it doesn't matter that you feel you have nothing to hide - there have been many cases of innocent people talking themselves into being charged criminally because they felt they had nothing to hide since they were innocent. I wouldn't even waste my time wit the nonsense... But I'm probably getting ahead of things.

You're welcome. Good luck dealing with her nonsense.

If the police come and start questioning you (because who knows what she'll say to try to get them to come out) then you should invoke your absolute right to counsel and refuse to speak unless and until you have an attorney present. If I was you I would just not answer the door - it doesn't matter that you feel you have nothing to hide - there have been many cases of innocent people talking themselves into being charged criminally because they felt they had nothing to hide since they were innocent. I wouldn't even waste my time wit the nonsense... But I'm probably getting ahead of things.

You're welcome. Good luck dealing with her nonsense.
Will do. Thanks again.

Does a Michigan police officer have the right to make a copy of my insurance papers?

Depends on the relevant facts and circumstances.

Under what circumstances would a Michigan police officer be allowed to make a copy of my auto insurance paperwork?

If the papers are relevant to a matter being investigated by the police and the officer has a warrant or subpoena.

she said she was going to call the police and have them make a "car copy". I've never heard of such a thing so I thought I'd ask the question here and perhaps educate myself.

My "nosy neighbor" is the President of our property owner's association and she thinks she has a right to that information. There is nothing in our bylaws that allow for that

Your neighbor is full of fecal matter.

Depends on the relevant facts and circumstances.

If the papers are relevant to a matter being investigated by the police and the officer has a warrant or subpoena.

Your neighbor is full of fecal matter.
I agree. Just wanted to get the facts on the law.

Thanks.

Back