Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication contributing to the Delinquency of a minor,what do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayjaywho

yesterday i received a letter in the mail from the local sheriff's office telling me i need to go to court for being charged with 272 (a) (1) PC, Contributing to Deliquency of a Minor.

in june i was present with a friend and two girls under 18 who were drinking, i was picked up by another friend to go home, but my friend and the girls were caught by the police. there was a bottle of booze in my friend's car which the minors drank. my friend was given a ticket and taken home by the police and apparently charged with contributing to deliquency of a minor. i however wasnt there when the police arrived but now three months later i have to go to court

what should i do? should i get a lawyer? what are my options. please help me out as soon as possible

yesterday i received a letter in the mail from the local sheriff's office telling me i need to go to court for being charged with 272 (a) (1) PC, Contributing to Deliquency of a Minor.
A letter? How odd.

what should i do? should i get a lawyer? what are my options. please help me out as soon as possible
Well, since I doubt the letter has any legal weight, you might choose not to go. However, if it is actually a summons, you have to go. I'm surprised that they would sent you a letter saying you have to go to court because, by itself, that is not a legal instrument that can compel you in to court.

If I were you, I would consult an attorney before responding to anything. if nothing else, the attorney can tell you what this letter means.

- Carl

I wouldn't bet on it being "a letter".

I wouldn't bet on it being "a letter".
I wouldn't either ... but, I don't know where the Sheriff's Department would be sending a summons to a defendant. Usually, the DA's office and the courts conspire for those as a middle step - more than a polite request, and less than an arrest warrant.

That's why I think he needs that attorney to look at it soon.

- Carl

no it really is a just a letter. it was sent from the sheriff's office saying that i need to be present on a particular date and i was being charged with contributing to the delinquency to a minor, if i dont go i could be arrested. would it be a huge mistake if i did not get a lawyer? its not exactly something the family can afford at the time

They are saying you need to be present in COURT? Or, are they asking to meet you at the sheriff's office to discuss the matter?

Yes, it might be a huge mistake not to consult an attorney. This is a criminal offense. While it may not be a big one, you just don't know what might come from it ... if one of the girls claims you fondled, groped, or had sex with her, guess what???

Scrape some pennies together or ask an attorney for a free consultation.

- Carl

They are saying you need to be present in COURT? Or, are they asking to meet you at the sheriff's office to discuss the matter?

Yes, it might be a huge mistake not to consult an attorney. This is a criminal offense. While it may not be a big one, you just don't know what might come from it ... if one of the girls claims you fondled, groped, or had sex with her, guess what???

Scrape some pennies together or ask an attorney for a free consultation.

- Carl

they said i need to go to court. i didn't even consider they said something like that, i guess i will figure something out then. thanks

in these kind of situations how will things happen, after i go to the first court appearance, what will happen next?

they said i need to go to court. i didn't even consider they said something like that, i guess i will figure something out then. thanks

in these kind of situations how will things happen, after i go to the first court appearance, what will happen next?
Well, considering this is so very unusual, I could not say what might happen next. The only thing that makes sense is that they have a warrant for your arrest and they are providing you a courtesy notice to show up or face arrest ... odd, but I suppose it saves everyone time and money.

Speak to an attorney ASAP.

- Carl

is a letter really that odd, if it helps i was charged for MIC at a party a while back. They never gave us the tickets when the cops were there. Told us we were geting minors but gave us nothing. A few weeks later got the ticket in the mail, then after that got summons for court saying show up to be charged etc.

is a letter really that odd, if it helps i was charged for MIC at a party a while back. They never gave us the tickets when the cops were there. Told us we were geting minors but gave us nothing. A few weeks later got the ticket in the mail, then after that got summons for court saying show up to be charged etc.
Well, in CA the sheriff's department can not send letters compelling people to go to court. If it was from the Sheriff, it was either a letter asking the recipient to respond to some sort of mediation or interview, or, it was a citation in to court (in other words, a ticket).

PC 272(a) is a misdemeanor and a citation is feasible ... it is just, unusual.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back