Contractual Issue in Small Claims Suit

Afishionado

Jurisdiction
Florida
I recently filed a small claim against a horse boarding facility I previously used. My girlfriend was the one who signed the boarding agreement with the facility, but I was the one paying the monthly bill of which there is a paper trail leading back to my checks with my name on the heading of the check.. A falling out occured between my girlfriend and the facility owner on February 13th 2016 and we were forced to move our horses that same day, and they promised to pay us the pro rated board of $275.87 because we paid up front for the month of Feb.

They refused to pay us after the incident so I filed a small claims suit and yesterday was the pre trial mediation.. An agreement could not be reached with the mediator so we went before the judge so she could set us a trial date.. The judge then told me that because my name was not on the contract with the facility that she doesn't believe I can sue even though the paper trail leads back to me and my checks which I have proof of.. She said if I could find a rule or a statute in the meantime that proves otherwise then I should send it to her before the trial..

This doesn't seem right to me because in the end I was footing the bill for the stable therefore I feel I should be entitled to MY money that I am owed and it seems ridiculous that because my name was not on the boarding contract then I "don't have a leg to stand on" according to the judge, her exact words.. Are there any laws, rules, statutes, ect that could help me here? I've been digging but coming up empty.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you for the time and consideration to my question

You are not a party to the agreement. You simply made the payments for your girlfriend. She was the party to the agreement. She would be the one to bring suit. Imagine if a stranger decided to go to your bank and make a few car payments for you, then tried to claim ownership of the car.

Back