Consumer Law, Warranties contractor not finishing work - residential construction

billl1

I hired a contractor to build a home in Michigan in Oct1 of 2014. It is June 23, 2015 and my home is only now partially framed. He has taken 2 draws against the construction. I know now he is doing multiple jobs. I am afraid he is using my money as well in 'a pool' to complete the other jobs as well. He and/or his crew rarely shows up at my home site. The contract states, 'This contract is based on starting at 8:00am and continuing until 5:00pm.'. My construction loan is up in July before it rolls into a mortgage. I want to sue the contractor for failure to meet his contract obligations. He is licensed in the state of Michigan. If I sue him I know there is not much monitarily to be gained as I am sured he is not heavily capitalized. Or there other ways of directing the suit to recover my loses?

I hired a contractor to build a home in Michigan in Oct1 of 2014. It is June 23, 2015 and my home is only now partially framed. He has taken 2 draws against the construction. I know now he is doing multiple jobs. I am afraid he is using my money as well in 'a pool' to complete the other jobs as well. He and/or his crew rarely shows up at my home site. The contract states, 'This contract is based on starting at 8:00am and continuing until 5:00pm.'. My construction loan is up in July before it rolls into a mortgage. I want to sue the contractor for failure to meet his contract obligations. He is licensed in the state of Michigan. If I sue him I know there is not much monitarily to be gained as I am sured he is not heavily capitalized. Or there other ways of directing the suit to recover my loses?

You don't want to even try and sue this conman.
You can report him to the police, the Michigan licensing board for contractors, or engage a lawyer to sue the pants off the scammer.
Don't delay, because you want to STOP the mortgage from kicking in.
A lawyer can assist you with obtaining that result.

I think the licensing agency in Michigan is known as LARA:

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-61343_35414_60647_35455---,00.html

I would go with talking to a lawyer due to "breach of contract" - the lawyer should be able to assist you.

Thanks. I did find out that he has liablity insurance for 1 mil. I believe I can go after him for breach of contract. On top of that, probably fraud.

Back