Contractor final invoice higher than approved insurance claim

northeastguy7

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
We had a insurance claim for hail damage and the insurance approved roof, siding, gutters. We hired a contractor who saw the scope of work and agreed to the work. We signed a contract With the amount close to the approved amount from the insurance. After he completed the work, he send a certificate of completion to the insurance company with 10k higher than initial approval. He states insurance company missed few items required by law. He never got approval prior to completing the work. The insurance denied the supplemental and send me the final depreciation check. When I called the contractor To pick up the final depreciation check, he declined the amount and wants me to hire a public adjuster. I don't wanna go that route as I feel he should have got all approvals prior to work. My question is would I be responsible for the additional 10k to pay the contractor.

My question is would I be responsible for the additional 10k to pay the contractor.

Your contractor is trying to scam you and your insurance company. Avoid public adjusters like you would avoid Covid19. They are scammers too.

You have a signed contract for X dollars for the roof. Mail the contractor the balance of the original contract price along with a copy of the original contract. If he hassles you tell him he is welcome to sue you. He'll lose.

Thank u for ur kind reply. He has been harassing me last few weeks and causing unnecessary stress on us.

he is refusing to give Me warranty on my roof without the balance paid in full.

Your contractor is trying to scam you and your insurance company. Avoid public adjusters like you would avoid Covid19. They are scammers too.

You have a signed contract for X dollars for the roof. Mail the contractor the balance of the original contract price along with a copy of the original contract. If he hassles you tell him he is welcome to sue you. He'll lose.

Thank u for ur kind reply. He has been harassing me last few weeks and causing unnecessary stress on us.

File a complaint with the state:

On July 1, 2009, the Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act (Senate Bill 100) took effect. This law requires most home improvement contractors to register with the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office. Additionally, these contractors must maintain minimum insurance coverage and utilize contracts that comply with a number of consumer protection requirements specified in this law. The Attorney General's Bureau of Consumer Protection is responsible for enforcement of these requirements. If you have questions about this contractor registration program, please call 717- 772-2425.

he is refusing to give Me warranty on my roof without the balance paid in full.

His company warranty would be useless. If you ever had a problem, he'd probably not respond. The real warranty is the manufacturer's warranty which you can find on the shingle wrapper.

I suggest you write up your problem on Yelp so that others might know how this guy operates.

Back