contract to purchase used car - buyer in california, seller in texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonecm

I live in California and located a hard-to-find used car in Houston TX. I phoned the seller and extended him a verbal offer which he accepted, also verbal. After having the car inspected I asked the seller to confirm our contract via email prior to wiring the check. He emailed the following "Yes, the terms are as you describe - upon receipt of full payment of $24,000 and clearance of whatever form of payment it takes, I'll sell you, as is, with all faults, my C55 with VIN Number XXXXXXXXXX". He sent that Saturday 3/5. On Sunday 3/6 he emailed me saying he decided to keep the car. Practically speaking, can I take action to compel him to make the sale? Would I need an attorney to do that?

You could try to sue him.
It would be very hard, perhaps impossible.
Your biggest problem would be serving him.
And, even if you served him properly, you'd be hard pressed to convince a court to order him to complete the transaction.

Just for informational purposes, you never had a contract. You made him an offer, he never accepted. But, even if you think he accepted, your "deal" never included any consideration, merely a promise to pay.

You'd be wise (and better off) to keep your $24,000 in your pocket. You might have received a blessing in disguise. Buying a car from someone you don't know, living 1,500 miles away from you is a very risky proposition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back