Contract help needed for back-end payment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennala

My jurisdiction is: CA

Hi,
I am a Picture Editor working on a Documentary Film. As per usual with these kinds of projects, there is no budget, and therefore any payment will come from the sale and distribution of the Film/Series. The Producer suggested we draw up a contract for payment options. What she promised was that I would get a lump sum, plus a percentage of the after cost proceeds. As time has passed, I have also become the Co-Producer, being that there are really only the two of us working on this project.
Since the Producer is basically leaving it up to me to draw up a contract, I am kind of lost as to what kind of contract to create. So, if anyone can help lead me in the right direction, I would be most grateful. There are several free sites online as to downloading contracts, but again, I am unsure of what type to fill out.

Thank you in advance for your help!!
Jenn

Are you a member of SAG or other professional group? The challenge with your agreement is that there are many specific issues that may not be addressed in a general purpose contract. You should be aware that business issues like sharing in 'profits' can be complicated. Who and how are costs being determined? Many business persons may spend on themsleves for 'related' expenses that make sure there will never be a profit. You may do well investing a few hundred dollars in a lawyer to review if you believe this project will amount to anything of significance and you'll be investing a great deal of time.

thank you

I figured that hiring a lawyer was my best course of action. It does seem quite complicated, especially for someone who doesn't know her way around a contract. I'm not affiliated with any professional organization, so therefore am on my own as far as support goes, but I think it will be fine.

Thanks for your advice.

Sincerely,
Jennifer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back