Contract Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screenwriter31

I have two questions:

I am ready to seek agent representation for one of my screenplays. This is my tenth year as a writer. What are the most important terms that I need to watch for when negotiating with an agent? Also, should I have an entertainment attorney review my agent/writer contract?

I also had an entertainment attorney on retainer a few years ago. Although appreciated, I no longer need the services of this attorney. As I've been given a referral to another attorney, that I think will suit my needs better at this time.

Should I have my new attorney send a letter ending my representation with the previous attorney?

Thank you.

With regard to negotiating with an agent, you need to watch out for terms regarding exclusivity and especially payment terms. Understand well how they work. Depending upon the size of the agreement, it may bode well to have an entertainment attorney available because agents aren't necessarily the right people to review contracts (or practice law without a license) although many agents are attorneys and can be very experienced.

Unless you have continuous representation by your previous attorney, a letter ending representation may not be necessary. However, if your prior attorney is listed as the attorney of record for any agreement that may still be outstanding you probably will want to let him know that you have obtained new counsel.

Best of luck with the next decade of your career. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back