Consumer fraud and wages

M

Mikeman

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Hello I am not sure if there is a precedent or If I would be attempting to make one so this is he best place to ask. I am in the process of attempting to settle a consumer fraud case with respect to the home my wife and I purchased. The sellers did extensive work without permits and lied on the disclosure and in conversation they did anything.

The stress of the situation has been overwhelming between taking days off for the town to inspect, getting quotes from contractors, etc. so much so that I've been on documented disability leave for months and may lose my job. I know that mental conditions don't get the same respect as physical, i.e. Lost wages due to ptsd or recovery for getting hurt.

I'm here to posit that if the commital of a crime creates a situation that directly results in loss of income that should be able to be clawed back, potential treble as the other expenses would be. Has there been such a case and if not, thoughts? Thanks a ton.

Regards,

Mike

My thoughts are that it is you who chose to stay out of work.

Situations like yours are not unheard of - it's far from the end of the world.

How long ago did you purchase the house and how did all these problems suddenly come to light?

Ditto and add two more questions:

Did you have the home professionally inspected prior to closing?

Did you check county and city records to verify what the seller was telling you?

Back