Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Confused petty theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mis_Misdemeanor

I was caught shoplifting for $33 which is petty theft. The police were not called and I was only given a civil demand notice. Do I need to go to court? The store said they were prosecuting to the fullest extent of the law so I'm a lil confused. When I called up the Civil Deman Notice people they said I would only be fined since the police were not called and I wasnt given a slip to call me in or whatever. Also, will this be on my permanent record or is this like cutting a deal with the store. Plz help I'm still scared.

It's strange not to call the police right then and there, if the store is actually seeking to prosecute you. You may want to call and ask the store, whether the loss prevention officer or the manager, how they plan on doing this.

Mis Misdemeanor said:
I was caught shoplifting for $33 which is petty theft. The police were not called and I was only given a civil demand notice. Do I need to go to court? The store said they were prosecuting to the fullest extent of the law so I'm a lil confused. When I called up the Civil Deman Notice people they said I would only be fined since the police were not called and I wasnt given a slip to call me in or whatever. Also, will this be on my permanent record or is this like cutting a deal with the store. Plz help I'm still scared.
:confused:
Almost the same thing happened to me. The police were not called and all i received was a civil demand in the mail. It has been almost 3 months now and i still haven't heard anything. I'm scared of being taken to court too. But I think that it is over for you since the people you called said it was only a fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back