Conflict of interest with a CPS worker

A

Alise

Jurisdiction
Oregon
Last year I was investigated by CPS due to an incident with alcohol. A case was not opened against me. However, at one point or was recommended to me that I meet with the CPS ADAPT workers to set up a counselling plan. One of these workers is the wife of my husband's best friend. I chose not to see her as I felt that it would be awkward. At the initial meeting is when I was told that a case would not be opened against me and strongly encouraged to seek outside alcohol counselling. I did so. At that same meeting, I did bring up the fact that the one worker was a friend and would there be future conflict of interest. My friend's Supervisor told me absolutely not and people make mistakes. She even offered to call in my friend to ensure that I heard it from her. I declined as I believed her. Recently, we were invited to a Super Bowl party at their house. The plans were abruptly cancelled due to "conflict of interest." I am confused. This friend/worker was never involved in my investigation and a case against me wasn't opened. We live in a small community where "everyone knows everyone." Does this situation sound like a true conflict of interest?
Thank you!

How could a party invitation be in any way connected? Sounds like whomever hosted simply changed their mind on the guest list for some unknown to you reason. Why not ask the host privately and politely why this happened?

My family and I were the only guests. I was asked by my husband to not ask the host/CPS worker, in hopes to avoid conflict.

Then I guess you will never know why this "friend" uninvited you to the party. I can't imagine you wouldn't have asked this already when the invite was rescinded.

Well, I haven't ever been involved with CPS before much less having a friend working in the department. My not going directly to her is to save the friendship of my husband and his best friend. I feel that this is more of a personal "conflict of interest" rather than a legal one. I want input from others from a legal standpoint.

It is not illegal at all. If one half of this couple or both wish not to socialize with you, that is their prerogative. They don't have to have a reason. Even if the reason was that you were involved with their employer a year ago, there is nothing at all illegal about that.

Back