Condo Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

stacynyc

I purchased a one bedroom condo about a year ago. In March 2008, I noticed small cracks on the ceiling of the living room. Every day the cracks were getting bigger and bigger. In about 5 days there was a huge horizontal crack 4 ft long and multiple 1-2 ft cracks all over the ceiling. The ceiling was about to collapse.
I called the Management of the Building who told me it was my responsibility to fix everything in my apartment. I also found out that 4 other apartments in the building had similar problems and that the ceiling collapsed completely in one apartment.
I called my insurance company since I had a condo owner insurance. They claimed that there was some structural damage to the ceiling.
I called the City Of NY and requested an inspector to come in. The inspector did come in and told me that he would issue the violation ticket to the Owner of the Building thus the Management.
The Management called me the next day stating that the ceiling was still my responsibility. I had no choice but to move out of the apartment for 3 weeks and paid for the repairs completely.

About 2 weeks ago I got a letter from the management requesting that I arrange the time for the inspection of the premises "based on their right to have access to the apartment if there's any visible threat to the other units". When I called the Management, I was told that my neighbor downstairs was complaining of noise. I was also told to get a copy of the invoice that I had for the repairs from March because the Department of Building issued a fine in the amount of $2500 because of my complaint. I agreed to the inspection.
The next day I contacted the Department of Buildings that explained to me that the fine was issued to the Management Co and that the conditions in the apartment were hazardous and to be fixed immediately right after the inspection back in March.
Therefore, the Management lied to me all along. The refused to inspect my apartment when the ceiling was about to collapse but wanted to inspect it because of the noise?
Do I have the right to deny the inspection, appear in Department of Building Court that was scheduled for September because of this violation and to sue for reimbursement?
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back