Condo late fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedHelpPlease

Apparently in July of 2013 one condo payment arrived late, and incurred a late fee. I was not made aware of this until the end of the year, when I received my one and only statement stating I had a past due balance of $700.00....they charged me monthly late fees (and interest) on top of the original late fee because it had never been paid! Again...I never received a notice that I had incurred the original late fee back in July, because the condo does not send out monthly bills or statements. I emailed and called the condo manager as soon as I saw the December yearly statement, and she agreed that the multiple charges should not have been charged, and agreed to credit my account for all subsequent late charges after July. I was instructed not to send in any extra payment until she could clear it up and send a new statement. In February, 2014, As I had not heard back, I called and sent another email asking for an update, and she replied back via email (which I still have) that she had not forgotten me, and that she had to talk with billing and would get back to me soon. In May I received a letter from the condo association lawyer stating that I owed $1,700 in late charges and interest and legal fees, and had 10 days to respond before incurring an additional $1,000.00 in fees!! I called the condo association and learned that the manager was no longer there. I called the condo lawyer and explained the situation to him. I followed up with him several times , but as he explained, he had not yet heard back from the condo association. Today.... 6 weeks later, the association lawyer called me to let me know that the association denied my request to have the late charges reversed, and also claimed that they did not give approval for the past manager to reverse these charges. In the mean time, I am still getting charged late fees from the original late fee in July, 2013. Can I fight this? Do I have a legal leg to stand on?!! I should not that I continue to pay my monthly maintenance fees each month, on time, throughout this ordeal. Thank you for any help anyone can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back