Conditions of sale on car

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiserob

I recently purchased a car and as a condition of sale the dealer agreed to purchase 2 new tires and have the wheels aligned, we even agreed that I would pay $100 extra towards it to split the cost because of the deal I was getting on the car. Here it is 2 months later and I've been battling with the dealership to get the tires, it is stated on the condition of sale, and they are now saying they won't stand behind it and would rather give me the money back. I don't want the $100 back and would have not bought the car if this had not been stated, all I want is for them to honor this. Would I have a case?

Fix and Sue!

If by "stated" you mean that the sweetener you and the dealer agreed on for the tires is in writing, yes, you do have a case, and there are of course a variety of legal approaches and maneuvers you can utilize to pursue your claim.

You can sue the dealership for breach of contract, but considering the notorious nature of car dealerships and the size and nature of the transaction (including the sweetener), the most prudent approach would be for you to purchase, install and rotate the tires as per the agreement, and then sue the dealer in Small Claims Court to recover the cost.

And if you do go the Small Claims route, may be you'd consider paying an extra $20/$25 to have the sheriff serve the dealership with the court papers. It's worth every penny. And the fun will really start for you once you obtain a judgment and become a "judgment creditor" and the dealer does not pay up.

Don't waste your valuable time writing letters; just fix it and sue them.

fredrikklaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back