Personal Bankruptcy Company Shut down- Do they pay employees

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostwages

I worked for a company that has been in business since 2000. They called all the locations on December 19th and told all employees to leave the building....that they were closing down. The outside company that does payroll said that they were notified on Dec 22 that the contract was terminated due to bankruptcy. There is not a bankruptcy filed as of yet for this business. I am owed for the last two weeks of work, 96 hours. Legally, what can I do to get my lost wages? Thank you so much for any advice given! I am a father of three and could really use what is rightfully mine.

You can file a wage claim with your state DOL for any time actually worked. You are owed for any work you actually did; you are not owed by law any wages for any time after you left the building on December 19 regardless of whether they have actually filed bankrupcy or not.

Thank you, CBG. Do I file in the state I work in or do I file that in the state the company is headquartered in?? Thanks again! I would love to be able to get my last two weeks paid!

Small Claims chances??

I tried to get the wage claim form in Georgia and I was told that since the company has shut its doors, I would need to file a claim with the small claims court in the county where the business was located. If I do this, what are my chances of getting my wages paid? I don't want to fork out more money in fees and still be left with nothing. The company still hasn't filed bankruptcy. Thank you for your help!

If I'd known you were in Georgia, where the DOL is essentially worthless, I'd have suggested small claims court in the first place. You are better off filing the claim BEFORE they file bankrupcy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back