Personal Bankruptcy Company owes back wages, filing for chapter 7, chances of recovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adm369

My former employer abruptly shut down operations the day before all employees were due to be paid. They then raised enough money to pay the wages a few days later, however several other employees filed a class action lawsuit and they company did not raise enough money to pay for the "damages" they are asking for. I would rather not join the lawsuit if I didnt have to but the offer has been extended to all laid-off employees. I am wondering what my next step is to recover my wages, Im assuming once they go to bankruptcy court I am just another creditor and I will be paid. Thanks!

It depends on how insolvent the company is. If the company is very broke you could get nothing or you could get what you are owed but I doubt you will get "damages."

My former employer abruptly shut down operations the day before all employees were due to be paid. They then raised enough money to pay the wages a few days later, however several other employees filed a class action lawsuit and they company did not raise enough money to pay for the "damages" they are asking for. I would rather not join the lawsuit if I didnt have to but the offer has been extended to all laid-off employees. I am wondering what my next step is to recover my wages, Im assuming once they go to bankruptcy court I am just another creditor and I will be paid. Thanks!
If they qualify chapter 7 as you suggest, I doubt you will get paid for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back