Common-Law / Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

GApeach5760

I lived with a man for five and one-half years. We desired marriage, however, I am a cancer patient and for insurance reasons marriage was not possible. Last month, he passed away. His son took over POA, hence taking decisions from me; mother had
me served with papers allowing authorities to come and take all of Gary's personal belongings away from me. Gary absolutely, positively did not want to be either cremated or buried in the ground, therefore, he/we picked out OUR crypt. Suffice it to say,
they would not entertain that idea; nor would they allow me any of his ashes. His mother even went so far as to have a restraining order brought against me so that I couldn't be with him in the ICU his last three days before dying. We were, however, called the
morning that his son signed for Gary to be taken off of support. They allowed me to stand by his side until his mother arrived, at which time, the handbasket went straight to hell. As an additional slap in the face, we were not allowed with the family at memorial
service, nor were we mentioned in the obituary. He had not seen his grown kids in years, at their choice, not ours/his. However, has helped me with the raising of my kids (grown) and Dominic. I have been left in quite a bad situation, as all of his
medical bills that will not be paid are coming to me (over 1.5 million so far). I am unable to work secondary to chemo, rad, and MRSA, which has me virtually void of an immune system (i.e., when entering the ER, I must mask prior to entrance and go directly to Isolation. This is for my protection, as well as the for the protection of the
patient's. He left my grandson and I beneficiary of his IBEW pension. The companies are ignoring my calls. I cant even obtain a death certificate or medical records, as I am not next of kin. I have even heard through the hospital grapevine, that he also had Hepatitis A, B, C. Am I responsible for his medical bills? How can I obtain medical records? Am I eligible for the pension and what must I do to make it happen?

Last edited:
Q: Am I responsible for his medical bills?

A: Did you agree to pay them?

I do not see how you are responsible for his medical bills. Only a few states legally recognize a common law marriage and Georgia only does if it was created before 1/1/97. See the below link for details.

http://www.unmarried.org/common.html.

You might want to see if you qualify for legal aid or call around to an attorney that might be able to help you pro bono.

Also have you applied for social security disability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back