Colorado law for security deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnome06

Can a landlord keep the deposit after 60 days after the return of keys and forwarding address is provided, landlord as not given any reason or letter telling why for keeping the deposit. After sending the landlord the 7 day demand letter for returning of deposit, he sent a letter telling he is keeping the deposit to pay rent. Can he keep the deposit after 60 days without telling why for those days and say he's now keeping it for rent?

They of course said I broke the lease,less than two months at the place,and yes returned the keys the first week in march

They of course said I broke the lease,less than two months at the place,and yes returned the keys the first week in march

Did you break the lease as they said?

Perhaps there was some type of dispute between OP and the LL.
LL may have asked or demanded OP to vacate the unit.
OP vacated pursuant to the dispute, and LL is claiming OP broke the lease.
Or, OP was upset about something, discussions ensued, demands weren't met or defects not fixed; OP decides to leave.

Just guessing. No harm in guessing while I wait to hear OP's answer.

Was asked to leave well demanded after almodt 2 months,month to month lease. Said they smelled smoke from smoking,I do not smoke,maybe burnt food but who knows what they smelled just to have a reason.

Sorry for all the questions but did you owe rent?

They say yes I say no because they gave bs reason to terminate lease, either way don't they have to give u written reason for not returning security deposit within 60 days?

They say yes I say no because they gave bs reason to terminate lease, either way don't they have to give u written reason for not returning security deposit within 60 days?

The law might say that, but only a court can order them to do so, if they disagree.

Your remedy lies in some court room in the county where you rented.

Tell it to a judge, and he or she will decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back