Collection Agent quoting law

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlex1

My husband divorced his exwife in Arizona. Under AZ statutes, he was required to maintain her on his insurance during the pendency of the divorce, which he did.

Arizona statutes also state that any debts incurred by either spouse AFTER service of notice on the non-filing spouse are the sole responsibility of the spouse incurring the debt.

AFTER she was service notice, his exwife received emergency care at a hospital. She, of course, used the insurance card provided by his employer. She did not, however, pay her copay as required.

A collection agent is attempting to collect this amount from my husband. The agent confirmed that the patient was his exwife. I informed the person that under AZ divorce law, he is not liable for her individual debts incurred after the date of notification.

This person told me that a) he is the "guarantor" of the debt by virtue of her having used his insurance card (despite the fact that he did NOT accompany her on this hospital visit and thus did NOT sign any paperwork at the hospital, nor did he even know she had gone) and b) that they (the collection company) "go by federal divorce law."

When I asked her to state the statute number or send me a copy of this "federal divorce law" upon which she was relying, she refused and became belligerent.

My question is this:

1. Are there "federal divorce laws" which supercede state divorce laws and, specifically, is this person correct in maintaining that under federal divorce laws, he is liable for this bill; and

2. Is he the "guarantor" under his exwife's medical bill by virtue of the fact that the insurance is issued in his name?

Bottom line---does he have to pay this bill?

Divorce law is handeled through the states........I am not sure about AZ, but in california the law states that when you become sepperated you are responsable for your own debt........EXCEPT....If the debt is caused out of the necesities of life.....You may need an attorney in AZ to awnser this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back