Collection Agency Settled still Reported

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argielaw

Hello:

I have recently settled an old debt with a collection agency. The debt was from a telephone bill in mid June 2002. The long distance carrier wrongly charged me for something, the short distance tried to collect because they consolidated the bill, but send a check to me and the long distance guy never received the money from me. In the confusion, I never realized I still owed to the long distance service provider. I acknowledge I owed the money. :(

I got contacted by a collection agency a month ago. I reach an agreement and pay with a discount agreeing not to seek for services from the service provider again. I asked if this was going to be notified to the credit agencies, etc. They said, no.

This past week I learned the collection agency reported me to a credit agency back in March 2005. They notified me about this debt in an old address and as I did not pay within 90 days, they reported me with the credit agency. :mad:

I regret not asking if they 'had' reported me and only if they were going to report me. They have reported the settlement to the credit report agency. Is there anything I can do about this? :confused: I just wanted out of my history. How much time will I have to wait until that debt is completely erased from my credit score?

Thank you.

Argielaw said:
Hello:

I have recently settled an old debt with a collection agency. The debt was from a telephone bill in mid June 2002. The long distance carrier wrongly charged me for something, the short distance tried to collect because they consolidated the bill, but send a check to me and the long distance guy never received the money from me. In the confusion, I never realized I still owed to the long distance service provider. I acknowledge I owed the money. :(

I got contacted by a collection agency a month ago. I reach an agreement and pay with a discount agreeing not to seek for services from the service provider again. I asked if this was going to be notified to the credit agencies, etc. They said, no.

This past week I learned the collection agency reported me to a credit agency back in March 2005. They notified me about this debt in an old address and as I did not pay within 90 days, they reported me with the credit agency. :mad:

I regret not asking if they 'had' reported me and only if they were going to report me. They have reported the settlement to the credit report agency. Is there anything I can do about this? :confused: I just wanted out of my history. How much time will I have to wait until that debt is completely erased from my credit score?

Thank you.
Generally, my understanding is that it will disappear in 7 years and you can read more about this in the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Don't let this one matter make you crazy because as a practical matter it may not make a difference in your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back