collection agency minimum payments

Status
Not open for further replies.

gal70blue

Can a collection agency demand a minimum payment on debts(utility bills) that are under $1500?? I have made payments every month ranging from $10 to $50, have not missed any payments (never had an agreement in writing) and now these agencies are saying I am obligated to pay more than $50 and that the original creditor can take the debt back at any time and sue me for the entire amount regardless that I have made steady payments on the account. Can they do this? Or am I ok since I have made an effort to pay. Also, I have told them I get Social Security every month and the law says that they cannot garnish that but they still insist they will sue me anyway. I am disabled and am trying to pay my debts but I cannot afford to pay these people more than $50 at the most a month, can they still sue me?

Yes they can sue you, However you are right, they can not garnish your SSI benifits-- so let them sue you-- If they dont understand you are trying, then they will just fork out more $$ in court costs and be stuck w/ the same payments--- evenwhen you go to court all you need to do is let the judge know you are paying all you can-- I think thye are just trying to get a rise outta you

yup- I guess they don't care that I am making attempts to pay- I guess they figure by hounding people they will get them to pay in full even when they are struggling!

Yeah, Dont let them get to you-- just do what you know is right and pay as much to them as you can and make sure you keep track of your pmnts! --

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back