Collection agency fishing?? (possible duplicate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lholladay

I have just received a letter from a collection agency for a vehicle I owned in 1989. The letter states that I owe taxes on this vehicle from Jan. 1989 to July 1989. This car was repossessed
in, I believe in January of 1989. When they took the car they took the plates and everything in the car.

Funny, I have not received anything prior to this, that I had any outstanding debts from the DMV of CT for the past 15 years. Also, they have my maiden name on this letter. I have lived in the same state for ten years now.

Nothing showed up on my credit report when I went to buy my new car or my house two years ago.

When I moved into the house, I had done some major cleaning out of old files. I did come across the paperwork for this car then but since it had been over ten years, I disposed of the paperwork. The only reason I even kept it that long was because I thought since the car had been repossessed I might need to have the records but after ten years I figured the matter was closed.

The letter states that if I do not respond with in 30 days they will consider this a valid claim and if I do not pay for the amount plus interest, plus collection fees, they could attached a lien to my house, bank accounts etc....

I am concerned to call, but at the same time, I don't think I am responsible for this debt.

It seems fishy to me.

Should I send a letter disputing the claim and asking for any proof that there was an attempt to collect this debt prior with in the past fifteen years?

Is there a statue of limitations on this if I haven't heard anything?

Last edited by lholladay on 08-13-2004 at 10:41 PM

Hmm... very interesting. They claim you owe taxes -- so why are they involved? Are they collecting on behalf of the DMV of the state of Connecticut? While I do know that there is a statute of limitations with regard to tax collection, I cannot confirm by the facts that the alleged debt is extinguished.

Most collection letters "assume" a valid debt (even though there is no guarantee that the person even lives at the address) because by law they have not been given the notice that the debt is not valid and therefore they would not be able to continue to call you about the alleged debt. Disputing the debt in writing would prevent the agency from continuing you to contact you and I'm unaware of any other negative repercussions and am open to suggestion. I would say as little as possible if replying to inform that it is not a valid debt.

lholladay said:
I have just received a letter from a collection agency for a vehicle I owned in 1989. The letter states that I owe taxes on this vehicle from Jan. 1989 to July 1989. This car was repossessed
in, I believe in January of 1989. When they took the car they took the plates and everything in the car.

Funny, I have not received anything prior to this, that I had any outstanding debts from the DMV of CT for the past 15 years. Also, they have my maiden name on this letter. I have lived in the same state for ten years now.

Nothing showed up on my credit report when I went to buy my new car or my house two years ago.

When I moved into the house, I had done some major cleaning out of old files. I did come across the paperwork for this car then but since it had been over ten years, I disposed of the paperwork. The only reason I even kept it that long was because I thought since the car had been repossessed I might need to have the records but after ten years I figured the matter was closed.

The letter states that if I do not respond with in 30 days they will consider this a valid claim and if I do not pay for the amount plus interest, plus collection fees, they could attached a lien to my house, bank accounts etc....

I am concerned to call, but at the same time, I don't think I am responsible for this debt.

It seems fishy to me.

Should I send a letter disputing the claim and asking for any proof that there was an attempt to collect this debt prior with in the past fifteen years?

Is there a statue of limitations on this if I haven't heard anything?

Last edited by lholladay on 08-13-2004 at 10:41 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back