Co-Tenant Lease Violation, Eviction, Subleasing, Tenant Code Violations, and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilipepper137

My roommate/co-tenant has broken our lease and bought puppies. (a violation of lease rules)

I notified our apartment complex of this, and said that I wanted to move out and sublease my room in the apartment. They acted very understanding and said that they will handle her, I can sign my lease over to a new leasee via their forms, but that it will require my current roommate's signature. They made it clear, however, that if I found a replacement for my room that I would not be held liable for my co-tenant's discretions.

They then notified my co-tenant that she had seven days to remove her puppies from the apartment. She didn't.

Now the apartment complex has notified us of eviction -- a 7 day warning. They told me to contact an attorney.

I take it that this means they plan on suing both of us for the lost rent.

What are my options here?

Side note: When I moved in there were numerous problems -- nonfunctional AC, leaking AC, electrical outlets arcing, etc. I notified them and my written requests were ignored for nearly two weeks, until I taped a written request on landlord mgmt's car as he was showing an apartment. That afternoon the AC was fixed, and some of the electrical outlets were replaced. Not all of them. They all still spark, even after the replacement. (I'm of the impression that this is because they are not grounded properly, but I'm unsure.)

Since this is a violation of city electrical code, and I did ask them to fix it and they did not, can I use this to my advantage in any way?

Thank you in advance for any replies... I'm very stressed and need some introductory direction. I really appreciate your reading this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back