Clearance for driving license in another state

Peachey

Jurisdiction
Michigan
My driver's license is suspended do to an assigned claims for an accident I didnt have in 2007. Assigned claims suspended my license in 2010 for a default judgment. I never was garnished, its not on my credit report, and they haven't renewed it after 10 years and I no longer live in MI. I would like to get clearance to get driving license in AZ. Is there anything I can do to get a clearance without paying the judgment or entering a payment plan?

Is there anything I can do to get a clearance without paying the judgment or entering a payment plan?

Maybe.

Michigan isn't a party to the compact.

If you wish to see if AZ will license you, apply for an AZ driver's license and see what happens.

Forty five states are members of the driving license compact.

The Driver License compact is an interstate compact among 45 states and the District of Columbia. Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee, and Wisconsin are the only states that are not members.

Driver License Compact

Interstate compact

My driver's license is suspended do to an assigned claims for an accident I didnt have in 2007.

Are you saying?:

A - You didn't have an accident, or
B - You had an accident but you weren't at fault, or
C - You had an accident, were at fault, and were uninsured at the time

Assigned claims suspended my license in 2010 for a default judgment.

A default judgment means you were sued and did not respond to the lawsuit. Why didn't you?

its not on my credit report, and they haven't renewed it after 10 years and I no longer live in MI.

None of that matters. Judgments have lives of their own.

I would like to get clearance to get driving license in AZ. Is there anything I can do to get a clearance without paying the judgment or entering a payment plan?

You could petition the court to have the judgment set aside, if it's not too late under Michigan law. Otherwise, all you can do is apply for an AZ license and see how it goes.

There are actually two driver license compacts. Michigan is not a member of either.

Driver License Compact (aamva.org)

However, a judgment is a different kind of record. I don't know if AZ seeks court records but it does not ask a question about judgments on the application for driver license.

Travel License/Identification Application (azdot.gov)

However, AZ does have a process for suspending driver licenses and registration for unpaid accident claims if they are reported.

Is "assigned claims" some sort of entity?

Instant google:

The state of Michigan established the Michigan Assigned Claims program in 1973 to provide assistance to people injured in an accident involving a motor vehicle, when there is no automobile insurance available.

MACP (michacp.org)

Every state in the union participates in the NDR. If Michigan marked you ineligible, you won't get very far in Arizona.

Further to this...participation in the NDR is a federal requirement.

Suspensions do not make you ineligible in the NDR. Only revocations. That's why we issue not-quite-permanent "revocations" here.

Back