Cleaning Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

dif1810

Here is the situation:
- I am the landlord.
- During the Moving walk through, the tenants complained about how dirty the place is. They generated a list of items to clean and made me sign it. I did.
- The next day, I cleant all the items of the list and the tenants where not there.
- They then moved in without having a second walk through. However, I sent an update of how clean the place is by sending pictures of the entire house after te cleaning. The tenant did not say anything.
- The tenant took the initiative to hire a cleaning company and spent $300 to clean the house.
- The tenant deducted the $300 cleaning fee from the rent.

Is it legal for the tenant to do so? As the landlord, what is the procedure to get this money back?

Review your own lease to see if it allows such.

If not, your tenant now owes you $300.

Do not deposit the rent but rather inform them that this is an inaccurate amount; it's $300 short.

Gail

There is no places in the rental agreement that specifies they can do this.

How do I inform, by sending a pay now or quit letter?

Can I inform by email?

Why can't I deposit the rent?

Why can't I deposit the rent?

Because the implication then becomes that you accept this amount for rent.

Inform them in writing that they have failed to provide the correct amount of rent and if this is not remedied, the eviction process will begin.

Gail

You do realize that you are a landlord in a state that is extremely tenant friendly. Make certain you document EVERYTHING and keep a copy for yourself.

Frankly, I'd send them a certified letter.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back