clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if it passes muster, what do you think you'll gain?

Dad's not going to jail. It's unlikely law enforcement would even blink an eye. And it's certainly not going to help you.

Heck, I've ended up opening up my #2s mail once in awhile because we share the same last name, and though she doesn't live here it's easy to just see the address and open it.

Is it illegal for someone to open up mail if it has their address on it but not their name?

How would you PROVE Joe opened it, Barb opened it, Ken opened it, or Patty opened it?

They could simply say, "Opened what?"

But, even if you could prove it, no one cares.

The police, FBI, and all of law enforcement are fighting real crime.

Sorry, the world is a vampire.

It only wants to suck your blood dry, and it doesn't care who does petty crap to you.

Is it illegal for someone to open up mail if it has their address on it but not their name?

I read your prior posts. I don't believe the law is going to make a big deal out of this/get concerned about this. It's also easy to accidentally open mail that comes to your address even if it doesn't have your name on it.

I agree with all of the above. But if it says "You may have won a million dollars" perhaps there might be a grand larceny charge there somewhere...

No one gets mail with OPEN ME IMMEDIATELY, YOU'VE JUST WON A MILLION DOLLARS, unless its from the wife of a dead Nigerien Prince offering you a cut on a $30,000,000 windfall that you must first give him $5,000 in a show of GOOD FAITH.

Yes, this is consuming too much of my time. To clarify, I am not the subscriber of my dental insurance, it is my current husband. So it was his name on the EOB but was sent to my ex-husband's address. After 2 months of retaining the mail, my ex-husband emailed me stating that he opened my current husband's mail and was going to save it for evidence in a claim against me. He did not send it back even after I sent a certified letter. He then handed it off to his attorney who did not attempt to return to sender until I made 2 separate requests for it.

I may not have a case, but it's still wrong in my opinion...

You're letting it consume too much time.

And in all honesty I'm not entirely sure why it's such a big deal. Again, Dad could gain access to the EOBs without your consent anyway. What's the problem?

Exactly how can one get access to another subscriber's EOB? Just curious.

I think my problem is one of ethics. Doesn't my husband have a right to his own mail?

I think my problem is one of ethics. Doesn't my husband have a right to his own mail?

You have a legal obligation, as well as a moral one, to provide the judge overseeing your case with the TRUTH.

Those who whine about legalities, moralities, and formalities are the greatest offenders.

You deliberately concealed the truth about your EOB to stick it to pops.

Pops got wind of it, and the next lecture you'll hear will be from the judge.

Good luck!!!!

Thank you. But please don't assume I was trying to stick it to my ex-husband. Far from it, my husband & I gave him $550 out of our pocket toward his contract to help him out financially. And we only received $750 from the insurance company. Now he wants 70% of that, too. When I mentioned that we already gave him $550 he said that was our mistake. So who's sticking it to whom?? I guess I'm the sucker here!! Thank you for your input! Have a nice holiday!

When it concerns a mutual child, very very easily.

You're seriously making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Practical advice: Pick your battles.

And really, what exactly is the problem? Surely you want the bills to be accurate, yes? I can't think of any legitimate reason you wouldn't want Dad to have a copy.

I don't care about the contents of the mail. I just wanted a straight answer if knowingly (and in writing) withholding someone else's mail is legal or not. The proverb "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" comes to mind here. Goodbye!

Sigh.

Yes, you care - otherwise you wouldn't have made such a big deal about it.

Good luck in court.

It must be nice to be so perfect that you've never in your entire life made a mistake and can be so judgmental about others. I'm talking to YOU, OP. Someone made a mistake and sent something to the wrong address. As it happens, something that the inadvertent recipient HAD EVERY RIGHT TO HAVE.

Mistakes happen. No one deliberately went out of their way to withhold information from you. Maybe if you were more concerned about your ex having accurate information and less about if your legal rights were violated, you wouldn't have these problems. Since he is paying part of the bill, HE IS ENTITLED to see the EOB's. Even if the preferred method would be for you to send him a copy, HE IS ENTITLED to see them.

So what's the problem? All you need to do is call your insurance carrier and ask for a duplicate. It's not like they're printed on gold and can't be copied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back