civil suit

J

jeffrey420

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I started a business in August 2012. Now someone is suing me for a percentage of the
business which was never agreed upon. There is nothing in writing. I have 30 days to respond
to his attorney and the court. How should I respond

You don't have to sign a contract to have a contract. For the most part, oral agreements are enforceable, just harder to prove.

The statute of limitations on breach of contract is 3 years in North Carolina. You might have that as a defense depending on when the alleged breach of the purported contract was.

I have 30 days to respond to his attorney and the court. How should I respond

You respond by hiring an attorney to represent you.

Just asking that question of strangers on the internet demonstrates that you need one.

Besides, going up against an attorney without one of your own is like bringing a rubber knife to a gunfight. You'll be the one to end up on the ground bleeding.

How much money are you being sued for?

I started a business in August 2012. Now someone is suing me for a percentage of the
business which was never agreed upon. There is nothing in writing. I have 30 days to respond
to his attorney and the court. How should I respond

Are you being sued by a stranger, a spouse, a business associate, etc?

It can sometimes be cheaper to settle out of court.
For example, settling for $500 when you're being sued for $1,000.
It's never wise to make any decision without securing the counsel of YOUR, TRUSTED attorney.

It can sometimes be cheaper to settle out of court.
For example, settling for $500 when you're being sued for $1,000.

Especially when it might cost $5000 to defend the $1000.

But there's often the "principle" that some people want to fight for regardless of the cost.

Back