Consumer Fraud civil or criminal

bjh420

Hello, I have a friend who has contacted Craigslist on the assumption of a job for hire. After talking about the job, my friend asks this employer if he is interested in equipment related to the job that's for sale. The employer agrees to buy the equipment, and wires partial payment for gas, ECT..to this friend to deliver the equipment, but unbeknownst to the employer, there is no equipment to sell or deliver. There was never any binding contracts, only verbal, and over the phone. Now if this employer goes to the police whether he says he agreed or was scammed, is this a civil or criminal matter?? This has happened more than once. Any suggestions??

Hello, I have a friend who has contacted Craigslist on the assumption of a job for hire. After talking about the job, my friend asks this employer if he is interested in equipment related to the job that's for sale. The employer agrees to buy the equipment, and wires partial payment for gas, ECT..to this friend to deliver the equipment, but unbeknownst to the employer, there is no equipment to sell or deliver. There was never any binding contracts, only verbal, and over the phone. Now if this employer goes to the police whether he says he agreed or was scammed, is this a civil or criminal matter?? This has happened more than once. Any suggestions??

I suggest you advise your friend that the police might be the better option considering his repetitive thieving actions on CL.
In other words, there are some very savage, vicious beasts that haunt CL.
If one cheats the wrong beast, he or shoe could find the payback to be very painful.
It might be wise if your pal just stopped what he's doing if he values his life.....

Back