1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Civil Litigation on a car loan

Discussion in 'Civil Court, Procedure & Litigation' started by Deone, Oct 26, 2021.

1. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

OK. If you're going to stay in Japan permanently, then you likely have nothing to worry about other than losing the $4,600 you have in a U.S. bank account. If you move that money out of the U.S., then you probably have nothing to worry about.

Even if the CU sues you and gets a judgment, the likelihood that it will try and pursue recovery outside the U.S. is astronomically small.

Not cool to welch on a debt, but you can move on with your life (assuming a civil money judgment would not impact your ability to stay in Japan, which, again, you'd need to discuss with a Japanese immigration lawyer).

2. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

That's not something you can "choose" to do without repercussions. In other words, while you can do a voluntary repossession, that doesn't mean you don't owe the money.

3. Redemptionman

Redemptionman Active Member

Yes and you could have sold the vehicle for enough money to cover the loan principle. Credit Unions are not Banks and they play by a different set of rules sometimes.

4. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

That's pure speculation, as we have no knowledge of the remaining balance on the loan or the value of the vehicle at the time that the OP relinquished it.

Red Kayak likes this.
  5. Redemptionman

The whole fact that he doesn't have 17k laying around and wants to see what options they have as in getting rid of any possible ramifications. They could also pay the money and not face those ramifications.

Bad business decisions are bad and have consequences.

6. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

More speculation.
    (You may be right, but it's speculation at this point.)

Red Kayak likes this.
  7. Deone

Deone Law Topic Starter New Member

No, he's right. I live from paycheck to paycheck.

8. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Car values depreciate faster than loan amortization and leave large balances, especially when people take out loans with little or no down payment and stretch it out for 5 to 7 years.

Red Kayak likes this.
  9. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Yes, I allowed for that

10. Deone

Deone Law Topic Starter New Member

If I have to go to court while living here in Japan, because it is a civil matter will I need to hire a lawyer to represent. Will I be arrested if I don't show up for court?

11. Redemptionman

You are over thinking it, you won't have to go to court in Japan. Even if they get a default judgement in the states, I am not sure what this does for you while you live in Japan. There is no attachment for it, just a default judgement which can be discharged from bankruptcy.

I understand why you did it as this happens quite a bit in other situations. Doesn't make it right but it is what it is. Used vehicle prices are higher than they ever have been so not having taken care of it before leaving the country is very irresponsible.

12. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

This happened ~two years ago. The cost for used cars now is irrelevant.

Red Kayak and justblue like this.
  13. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

No one here knows anything about Japanese court proceedings.

As I indicated previously, if you remain in Japan permanently, the likelihood that anything will come of this is infinitesimally small.