Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Civil Demand FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordan

What is civil demand (civil recovery)?
Civil recovery laws allow store and retailers to prosecute alleged shoplifters in civil court. All 50 states have some form of civil recovery law. Civil demand laws were designed to all retailers to recoup losses due to product theft or damage.

Am I required to pay the civil demand (civil recovery)?
Yes. The retailer can turn over the civil demand to a collection agency, report the debt to credit reporting agencies, or file a lawsuit to obtain the civil demand

My child shoplifted from store X, and they sent me a letter for civil demand. Am I required to pay?
Yes. Many states make parents or legal guardians responsible for the actions of their children.

I went to court, do I still have to pay the civil demand?
Usually yes. Many states require you to pay the civil demand in addition to any criminal proceedings that occur. With that said, there are some courts/jurisdictions/states that are either/or.

How long will it take to get my civil demand letter?
Anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. Some places process civil demands in batches, have a back log of paperwork, or are just slow to file. States have varying requirements for time frames.

The police weren't called, and I still got a civil demand letter?
There is no requirement that police are called for a store to issue a civil demand. Many stores have a policy that they will only send civil demands if the store/LP made a police report, but this is not required.

They told me they can collect the civil demand right there at the store?
Yes, some stores have policies that the loss prevention department can collect the civil demand/civil recovery at the store.

I gave them the wrong address. What will happen?
If you gave them false information they have several options - they can turn the information over to police, and press criminal charges, or provide the information to a collection agency.
[addthis:1ml6bvaa][/addthis:1ml6bvaa]

I would like to know how everyone uses civil demand in their store. our policy is if the product is damaged or not recovered (which only really happens if subject flees the store) then we CD.

Ours is $50 or $50 plus the price of the item if damaged, in cases where we have say people stuffing meat down thier pants lets say $100 worht they get a $150 fine.

I know some department stores collect civil demand and merchandise restitution on the spot.

Anyone work for a company that does this? The store(s) I am referring to always charge the state minimum or 2x the amount of the stolen merchandise up the state maximum. If the merchandise is damaged they get charged that separately. I really like the idea of collecting on the spot as it increases your recovery percentage.

Personally I dont. LP needs to deal with LP issues not Civil Demand this can also give too much temptation to rogue Lp staff. No I think LP should focus on reducing shrink that collecting Civil Demand its a recipe for trouble in my view. With retailers losing over 13 Billion to shoplifting alone thisw puts too much on thier plates. However this is not the topic area for this dicussion.

Norman Jr said:
I know some department stores collect civil demand and merchandise restitution on the spot.

Anyone work for a company that does this? The store(s) I am referring to always charge the state minimum or 2x the amount of the stolen merchandise up the state maximum. If the merchandise is damaged they get charged that separately. I really like the idea of collecting on the spot as it increases your recovery percentage.

We collect on the spot if they're willing and able to do so.

When we write the shoplifting report, a copy goes to corporate and a copy goes to our civil demand lawyers regardless if the merchandise is damages or not.

if the store security people said no letter will be sent is that it?

no cops were called they said just dont go back here, if we ned you we cal you and no need for a complete address

they have my information but, no mailbox how will i recieve my civil demand if they decide to send one? i am not from the country!!!i left already, if i come back to the U.S will they arrest me in the airport?

if i get a mailbox and call them to complete my contact info, will they decide to make a big deal out of my case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back