Civil Action for Unlawful Entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

autumn1978

My jurisdiction is: Oakland County, Michigan

In October 2008, a man forced his way into my home and made his way upstairs where I and my three small children were sleeping.

He chased me down the stairs, but became distracted by a loud noise in the basement, so he ran to the basement and let me go. At that point, I ran back upstairs, called the police, and he was arrested.

He pleaded guilty to Unlawful Entry (a felony), and received 90 days in jail.

He lives behind me. I didnt know this prior to the incident because we just moved to this house.

Although he is 38, his mother, with whom he lives, has legal "custody" of him because he has schizophrenia.

She is responsible for making him take his medication.

Medical staff at the police department confirmed that he hadn't taken his meds in a while.

He is getting out of jail in a few weeks.

The problem is, my children and I are having a great deal of difficulty functioning in this house; we need to move. We cannot sleep, the kids can't play in the back yard (because he is back there), my daughter's grades went from As to Ds overnight (she saw him chasing me), and I have lost a great deal of money from missed work.

One more thing - police were able to confirm that he had been watching me, and he was NOT there to rob us, he was there for me.

I would like to sue these folks in civil court for a few causes of action, including negligent infliction of emotional distress, trespass to land...

Will you suggest some other causes of action?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back