Corporate Law city taking jobs away

Status
Not open for further replies.

mort1504

I have been providing computer support to a non-profit company for approximately 10 years and was told that my services were no longer needed because the city's IT department was going to now provide the same service. I am presuming for free. I am a small business owner and this customer was about 1/5 of my annual revenue. This non-profit receives grant money from the city and the building they are in is provided by the city. My concern is not only for this customer but several of my other customers that are non-profit and receive money from the city. There was no notification to terminate services.
First, can the city do this? As a tax payer in the city I find that this is wrong. I feel like I am paying the city employees to take work away from my business and they're trying to force me out of business. Can a city employee work at "commercial" business while on the time clock of the city? Two, if this is "legal and ethical" how can I prevent it in the future?

I'm sorry to hear about your lost customer. I'm not sure I completely understand what you are saying - are you claiming that the city's providing of IT support for free to this non-profit is entering a commercial business? This is probably no different than providing free money to the non-profit to go out and hire someone. I know it feels wrong that the money should just stop coming but this is a grant, not a guaranteed right. Could you explain?

I have been providing computer support to a non-profit company for approximately 10 years and was told that my services were no longer needed because the city's IT department was going to now provide the same service. I am presuming for free. I am a small business owner and this customer was about 1/5 of my annual revenue. This non-profit receives grant money from the city and the building they are in is provided by the city. My concern is not only for this customer but several of my other customers that are non-profit and receive money from the city. There was no notification to terminate services.
First, can the city do this? As a tax payer in the city I find that this is wrong. I feel like I am paying the city employees to take work away from my business and they're trying to force me out of business. Can a city employee work at "commercial" business while on the time clock of the city? Two, if this is "legal and ethical" how can I prevent it in the future?

From what I have determined, there is no approval by the city government to give the non-profit a grant to cover the support. It is an agreement between the city's IT department and the non-profit without the blessing of city council.

From what I have determined, there is no approval by the city government to give the non-profit a grant to cover the support. It is an agreement between the city's IT department and the non-profit without the blessing of city council.
Understood - but what right are you trying to assert? You have been fortunate to have had your IT support business subsidized by government the last several years via a contract with this non-profit. I'm not sure I fully understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back