City easement /property question

Status
Not open for further replies.

saturn

Hi, I have searched for a similar situation to the one I have and found nothing on this forum so here is my dilemma that I'm hoping that someone could help me on:
4 years ago I bought my house. There is a 20 feet wide 20 feet deep ditch that runs the length of my property that the rain water from the street drains into. The drainage continues through the rest of the neighborhood but as soon as it's past my property line, it continues underground. I was told by the sellers agent that this property belonged to the city. Last year I got a code violation for weeds growing in this water run off reveen. I contacted the city and told them that this was city property and I was not responsible. Well, after looking at my property lines online, turns out that this clearly IS my property so here are my questions:
1) Since there is no fence stopping anyone from walking down the street and accidentally falling into this ditch, can I legally be sued?
2) The rainwater empties from the street, down a 18 food deep pipe and then through this reveen, can I legally force the city to do anything about it such as putting in pipes so it doesn't erode my property anymore?

Is there anything that I can do, seeing that this IS my property, I would like to expand my yard but would be unable to because of the ditch, what can I do, any help is greatly appreciated

1) If it's your property and there is an accident, you'll likely be sued whether you're ultimately responsible or not. That is something to think about.

2) We can't answer you. You should probably get a real estate attorney who will be able to fully assess the situation. Your problem is specific to your land and it is an unusual case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back