K Visa Citizenship or renew resident card post marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BalaShark

I got married this weekend. We dropped off our marriage document at the courthouse on Monday and the clerk says we should be getting our certificate in 4-6 weeks.

My question is the following: I am a permanent US resident and have been for 22 years. I also happen to be the last person in my family (of 5) to apply for citizenship. I also now need a new permanent resident card because of the name change to be done when the marriage certificate arrives and because the card I currently have is so old that it doesn't have an expiration date. I found out about a year ago that I needed a new one because my current on is no longer *technically* valid but figured I'd wait until after the wedding so I would have to apply twice in less than a year.

Should I,
1. Apply for both citizenship and a new resident card? (Seems like it'd be a waste of much money, and truly not something I can afford right now)

2. Apply for a registration card only (considering that I plan on applying for a new job in 6 months time and most likely will need it)?

OR

3. Apply for citizenship (finally) and skip the card, hope that I can use my current card for ID (which I had to use as recently as 6 months ago for a parttime job) and tell my new employer that the application is in process?

Any advice is appreciated.

Apply for citizenship........Your third option is the best per immigration law. You can always inform your job and they would work with you even with just your marriage license.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back