Naturalization, Citizenship citizenship application and a "ride with the cops"

Status
Not open for further replies.

landthatilove

Over a year ago, my husband and I, at home and both intoxicated, started a yelling match, he got too close to my face so I dialed 911....but hung up before they answered. Two sheriff's officers in separate vehicles showed up. My husband's first words were "I want her arrested for assult". One officer stayed with him, and I was taken to the vehicle with the other officer. I was immediately read my rights. I also chose to "remain silent". They took pictures of food on the kitchen floor and a phone thrown on the driveway and told me I will be charged with family partner assult. After the two officers talked in private, the one that had been with my husband opened the passenger door and read me my rights again. I asked if I was being arrested. He said "yes". Then the officer who's car I was in took me to a friends house and told me to stay away from home for a few days. The next day the officer that was with my husband came to my friends and asked me if I was ready to tell him what happened. I said "no" and he reminded me that I "will" be arrested.... he just didn't know when or that either one of us will be arrested, or "maybe both of you". He said he didn't know until their investigation was complete. Then he give me a "victims" phone number. I waited for a couple weeks then called the officer. Asked if I was going to be charged with anything. He said they were still working on submitting their initial report. Again he said "but don't worry, you will be arrested". It has been over a year now and I have heard nothing nor has my husband. I know they were quite confused over what went on that night and who was actually the purpetrator. I am too afraid to find out if there indeed was any actual report of that night. Do I mention any of this on the citizenship form? How long can the police hold this over my head? I do feel they were intimidating me into fingering my husband that night. I don't want to contact them at all in fear that it might jog their memory and do something now. The immigration form asks if you have ever been questioned, detained by the police for any reason. What do I say? I have been through the border crossing with my greencard three times since this incident and nothing came up under my name. Would there be if there was any pending charges? Please help me sleep better at night and tell me what I hope to hear. That the officers as far as they are concerned, were never here over a year ago.
Thank you for your time and attention.

In this instance, it seems that you may not have been arrested and nothing exists on file. You should research this matter and see whether there is any record as to the incident. You may wish to retain an attorney on this matter as this is fact specific.

It appears that this matter has been addressed using officer discretion.

You've gotten a pass.

Did you know that you Green Card Holders should be very careful when leaving the US?

Did you know that every time you do, a record is made of the transaction?

Did you know that there are penalties for lying to federal officials?

Did you know that it is illegal to lie on federal forms?

Do you remember what sent Martha Stewart to a federal penitentiary?

GENERAL RULE

It is very important to realize that U.S. Immigration law requires that a green card holder must NEVER abandon the INTENTION of continuing to reside permanently in the United States. Once, a green card holder abandons that intention, e.g., by intending to reside permanently in some other country, that person loses the right to keep their green card.

This means that ANYTIME a green card holder leaves the U.S., that person is subject to being accused by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (I.N.S.) of having abandoned the intention of living in the U.S., and is subject to having the greencard taken away--on the spot. Therefore, green card holders must always take certain PRECAUTIONS in order to be able to prove to the I.N.S. that they have never abandoned the intention of living in the U.S. permanently. However, simply returning to the U.S. once a year for several weeks to use the Green card is NOT enough!!! Many green card holders have lost their green cards--even though they returned to the U.S. once a year.

http://www.antaoandchuang.com/i-keeping.html

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I was on here and I thank you for your reply. Nothing has become of this episode, however I have another one at hand. I am living in a failed marriage and am sure a divorce is emminent to which we both know. Because of the incident I posted before along with your reply, my husband is using it to "blackmail" me for lack of a better term. He has left as of this morning on a trip. Last night was hell for me. He sat with the phone ready to press the last number to the sheriff's department if I even looked at him the wrong way. He is afraid he may come home with the doors locked and his stuff outside so his threat is his way of making sure I don't do anything while he is gone. He smuggly tells me that "one phone call and your ass is out of here". Normally this would have been a good oportunity as I do have all my "ducks in a row", however, we go for biometrics in a week for gc renewal. He has even threatened to tell them "the truth" about me (which is a total lie) in hopes they remove me immediately. I have given this man 34 yrs. marriage. I have been contemplating seeing a minister from our extremely small town who used to be my neighbor and tell him that if the police do get a call from my husband that they have to believe me that things are not what they appear. The only trouble is, he is also the police cheif. What on earth do I do?

landthatilove said:
It's been awhile since I was on here and I thank you for your reply. Nothing has become of this episode, however I have another one at hand. I am living in a failed marriage and am sure a divorce is emminent to which we both know. Because of the incident I posted before along with your reply, my husband is using it to "blackmail" me for lack of a better term. He has left as of this morning on a trip. Last night was hell for me. He sat with the phone ready to press the last number to the sheriff's department if I even looked at him the wrong way. He is afraid he may come home with the doors locked and his stuff outside so his threat is his way of making sure I don't do anything while he is gone. He smuggly tells me that "one phone call and your ass is out of here". Normally this would have been a good oportunity as I do have all my "ducks in a row", however, we go for biometrics in a week for gc renewal. He has even threatened to tell them "the truth" about me (which is a total lie) in hopes they remove me immediately. I have given this man 34 yrs. marriage. I have been contemplating seeing a minister from our extremely small town who used to be my neighbor and tell him that if the police do get a call from my husband that they have to believe me that things are not what they appear. The only trouble is, he is also the police cheif. What on earth do I do?

If I were you, I'd file for a divorce.
I wouldn't care if I was deported.
Don't worry, you won't be deported.
You husband is an abusive bully.
Why stay in a dead, lifeless marriage any longer?

You won't be arrested for anything.
You haven't done anything.

Do not do anything to his junk.

Do something for yourself, move out.

Hire a lawyer, divorce that monster, living like that isn't worth it.

Besides, you don't have to live that way.

Get out now, while you can, otherwise that monster might hurt you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back