Other Immigration Law Citenzenship dilemma

O

Ocean1980

Jurisdiction
New York
Hello I wonder if someone could be able to review my question and explain me if I should wait or could apply for a citenzenship this year. Have not had a review by an immigration attorney and due to some issues will not be able anytime soon. I have been friends with some wrong type of people aND did some inappropriate things. Had been arrested for a larceny and petit larceny, both cases had been sealed and and had occurred in 2004 and 2005 respectfully. All these happened while my asylum cases had been pending. I had been granted an asylum in 2007. Received my green card in 2008. Meanwhile in 2010 I have gotten married and had a first child. In 2011 my husband was planning to work overseas and we decided to apply for my citizenship which had been denied in 2012 base on not been married for a certain period of time. Later when my husband complained abut the denial and overall how that whole processhappened I have received a letter from USCIS saying that case was not denied not only based on insufficient time it was also denied because I had 2 cases that violated moral triptitude. Recently my husband have asked me if we should apply again,he doesn't know about my past criminal records and I never had a chance to tell him, as it is not easy for me. Is it safe to apply once again or should I wait. Will waiting change anything or not? Thank you , I appreciate any feedback.

Have not had a review by an immigration attorney and due to some issues will not be able anytime soon.

This really is your best bet though - talk to an immigration attorney or ask the USCIS.

It might be best to forget citizenship, because everything that USCIS considers moral turpitude won't just go away.

You're here legally.
You have a baby.
You're reluctant to open the closet that contains the naughty secrets for your husband to see.
So, tell him you'd rather stay in the USA with baby, building your home, while he can work abroad if necessary.
Tell him you'll support him, take care of baby, and maybe seek to better your education, get training in a trade, or simply go to work and save money for your family.
That way it keeps the doors closed, and maybe one day you can pursue citizenship.

Holding a green card, is just as good.
US citizenship would only allow you to vote.
Sometimes doing nothing is just as good, if not better than doing something.

army judge. Thank you ,really appreciate your feedback. I am afraid to renew my green card also now after reading bunch of stories recently when people had been arrested for similar wrongdoings years after when either renewing green card or applying for citezenship. Sadly when I had been at interview they said they couldn't get full information on my cases and I had to explain myself,farthere I have passed the history test, English and and had to come back and bring all the bank statements when another officer caught that it was not enough time and this whole mess occured. Now I am not sure if it was good that my husband complained as initial they have stated that only timing of the marriage was insufficient and only after complaint I received a second letter from the Director of the local USCIS. I guess I was kind of hoping that with time it all will be forgiven as some people say 5 years from the offense is enough. But it is too risky and I agree with your point. P.s my daughter who is 5 y.o recently asked why I have a different color of the passport and when I explained was curious why we have different citezenships so this issue will not go away I will have to deal with it sooner or later.

Back