Child support modified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jst4me

I have 4 children with my ex wife. My visitation was modified to have the children 26% percent of the time in 2007, I still pay child support at 10%. They did not do a disso master for it either. Can they go back to when it was made an order and retroactive it. Or do I have to have it all changed through the courts again? I can barely feed them and put them in the lifestyle she has made for them which make me look bad to them as they always complain. I was told I would have to pay more since I remarried and have another child. Is this true also? My last child was a huge surprise as we thought we could not have any children can I get made to pay more to my ex wife for this?

I have 4 children with my ex wife. My visitation was modified to have the children 26% percent of the time in 2007, I still pay child support at 10%. They did not do a disso master for it either. Can they go back to when it was made an order and retroactive it. Or do I have to have it all changed through the courts again?

It depends on the state, but if you didn't ask for a modification of the child support when you requested the modification of visitation, then it wouldn't have been adjusted and you can't change it retroactively. You will have to go back to court.

I can barely feed them and put them in the lifestyle she has made for them which make me look bad to them as they always complain. I was told I would have to pay more since I remarried and have another child. Is this true also? My last child was a huge surprise as we thought we could not have any children can I get made to pay more to my ex wife for this?

I don't know of any state that raises child support when you marry and have additional children unless you're underemployed.

It depends on the state, but if you didn't ask for a modification of the child support when you requested the modification of visitation, then it wouldn't have been adjusted and you can't change it retroactively. You will have to go back to court.

I don't know of any state that raises child support when you marry and have additional children unless you're underemployed.
Well they retroactived the spousal support cause she wanted to drop it so they went back on that. And I was informed when I went and had the spousal support changed and asked about the child support cause I have a new daughter. The facilitator told me if I claim my wife and daughter as dependents they take fewer taxes out which frees more money that can go to child support. She told me I could claim my daughter as a hardship but that they probably won't accept it as my first family comes first. I am floored as to the Courts here in California. I am being forced to move the end of July as I will be homeless as I can no longer even afford to pay my rent after gas, my utilities and food.

Well they retroactived the spousal support cause she wanted to drop it so they went back on that.
Spousal support is not child support. Did she agree to reimburse you for spousal support that you paid to her? Does she agree to pay you for the child support that you already paid? If so, then that's a different situation.
And I was informed when I went and had the spousal support changed and asked about the child support cause I have a new daughter. The facilitator told me if I claim my wife and daughter as dependents they take fewer taxes out which frees more money that can go to child support.
Well, that's a little different than the way you posted it earlier. You will pay a percentage of your disposable income. If you don't want the amount to change, then don't claim any exemptions on your payroll.
She told me I could claim my daughter as a hardship but that they probably won't accept it as my first family comes first. I am floored as to the Courts here in California. I am being forced to move the end of July as I will be homeless as I can no longer even afford to pay my rent after gas, my utilities and food.
So file for a modification of the child support! But don't expect any retroactive payments unless your ex agrees.

She was not asked to reimburse me for spousal support, the child support office added up what I paid after she denied spousal support and took that away from the balance I owed her in child support. The court granted modification of visitation and she agreed also which in returns automatically changes child support which a dissomaster is needed for the child support office and it was not done by the courts.

She was not asked if she would reimburse spousal support, the child support office added up what I paid after she agreed to drop spousal support and then deducted it from what I owed in back child support. She agreed to visitation modification and the courts approved it. But a dissomaster is required to change the amount and they forgot to do that.

So file for a modification of the child support and ask for retroactive.

I honestly can't tell what happened and when from reading your posts. Maybe the change in visitation didn't affect the child support enough to warrant a change. Maybe your arrears figured into the order. Maybe you're underemployed. Maybe the support was unchanged because you are no longer obligated to pay spousal support. I can't tell because you haven't painted a very complete picture.

To answer the question in your original post:

Yes, it has to go through the court again.

Well thank you for trying to answer my question. It was a 2 year divorce. I am not underemployed I make 4 thousand a month but after child support and taxes I bring home $1300. She has more than enough money to take care of the kids as she gets $2000 child support, $3800 a month elsewhere for the children, and she works. How can the system try and be fair when they make sure the noncustodial parent can't make enough to keep a home or a job. I am baffled and just venting at the unfairness when the children are taken care of in a very good way financially but can not make sure the father can provide a place to live for himself to have his visitis with his children. Can not even qualify for low income housing as they go by what is made before everything is taken out. thank you anyways Irish223 I appreciate you trying to clarify my jumbled up frustration on trying to provide while being a good father in both homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back