Child abandonment

lovejoydiver310

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hi there. I am thinking about trying to get sole custody of my one year old. Her father has had nothing to do with her since I was pregnant and I have tried over thirty times in the past year to contact him in numerous ways. He is in Colorado and I am in Texas. What would I need to do to start the process of filing for sole custody and would a file for child abandonment be out of the question? If not, would I go by Texas law or Colorado law concerning that?

You'd need an attorney in the state of your residence. But why poke the sleeping bear? You already have sole custody (unless you were married).

Then you have sole custody now as child has no legal father. He can request contact and you can legally tell him to pound sand
Until he decides to get a court order, which will require establishing paternity. Of course, if Mom ever needs the State's help via TANF, Medicaid, etc, then the State will pursue Putative Dad for child support, and Putative Dad will more than likely file for visitation.

Back