Criminal Law Check bounced for $300, which is a felony i was arrested and then charges were droped

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmednmj

2 years ago one of my land lord called police for a bounced check, I was arrested and kept in a detention center. Next day I arranged to pay the land lord and case was withdrwan from the plaintiff and I was released. Then I got my records expunged using an attorney. My question is on my WORK visa (H1B) application for US. oN THE VISA APPLICATION I checked that I have never been arrested. Is that a problem, because on the court document i GOT AFTER THE EXPUNGEMENT IT CLEARLY STATES that I don't need to disclose this event on any type of application. Can somebody guide me. What should I do.

An expungement does not relieve you from the duty to say the truth on immigration applications. Therefore you have made a misrepresentation on your application. The USCIS often does obtain records from the FBI even if they might have been expunged by the states. It could be that your visa application will be rejected or delayed. In that case you would want to attempt to show that your misrepresentation was not material because you would not be inadmissible for the crime the record shows, because there was no conviction. (If that is so, it depends on the details of the case). You should let an immigration attorney handle that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back