charging your credit card without knowing up front

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchmann

I clicked on a 2 week upgrade service from a atandard service and was not told on the web page, first page that I would be charged on my credit card 32.95/ month for a service I really did not order but was only trying on a two week trial period. False advertising and the fine print got me it was buried in the bowls of the site and I was billed by a sudo company name I did not even recognize.

Someone needs to come down hard on these guys for ambiguous advertising and mouse over joining techniques.

I AGREE WITH YOU ALOT OF THESE COMPANIES USE LEGAL TERMINALOGY THAT THE AVERAGE CONSUMER HAS NO WAY OF UNDERSTANDING. SOMETHING SHOULD BE DONE

I clicked on a 2 week upgrade service from a atandard service and was not told on the web page, first page that I would be charged on my credit card 32.95/ month for a service I really did not order but was only trying on a two week trial period. False advertising and the fine print got me it was buried in the bowls of the site and I was billed by a sudo company name I did not even recognize.
It sounds like you probably can dispute these charges. You might wish to report this to your state Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau (bbb.org). If the vendor cares about its reputation it will contact you to settle the dispute to clear its reputation with the BBB. Unfortunately many business don't take the BBB seriously but at least it may help others out who are careful enough to check with the BBB prior to purchase.

I am ALWAYS leery of any business that requires me to provide my credit card for any introductory service without purchase. A common "scam" (legitimate if proper disclosure is given but usually deceptive or misleading in practice) is the "autojoin" procedure, where if they don't hear from you after the introductory period.

Also make sure that on any site which you join that there is appropriate contact information such as address and especially telephone number. You may even wish to verify the number by calling prior to purchase unless the company name is a recognizeable brick and mortar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back